Job title: Program Coordinator for Community Engagement
Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Timeframe: Approximately 3 years, contingent upon continued funding of the project by the program’s funder
IREX is a global development and education organization. We strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals reach their full potential, governments serve their people, and communities thrive. With a projected annual portfolio of more than $100 million and more than 600 staff worldwide, we work with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
Comunitatea Mea (CM) is a program administered by IREX and funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The program’s purpose is to a) improve the capacity of local authorities, including their ability to work inclusively with citizens and civil society, to increase revenues, improve financial management practices, and b) build on this work with localities to improve the functionality of fiscal, administrative and political arrangements between the central and local governments to improve public services for residents of Moldova and increase their trust in public sector institutions.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified candidates for a full time Program Coordinator position. The Program Coordinator will assist the Community Engagement Specialist in the implementation of Component 2 activities which focus on citizens in CM target communities being meaningfully engaged in local governance. The Program Coordinator will undertake coordination, planning and administrative tasks, in addition to contributing to specific technical activities design and implementation. Responsibilities include support and coordination of grants to Civil Society Organizations to support local government service priorities and to increase community participation in local governance processes. The Program Coordinator will work with the Community Engagement Specialist and the Gender and Youth Advisor to design the criteria and selection process and will monitor successful grant implementation.
The Program Coordinator will contribute to all other Component 2 activities, as needed, and will coordinate closely with other CM components on citizen engagement initiatives. He/she will provide logistical support in event organization, communication with stakeholders; and ensuring close-coordination with other Components of the CM program. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for the performance of the assigned tasks within the Comunitatea Mea program, including meeting programmatic goals, remaining compliant with IREX and USAID regulations. He/She will report to the Community Engagement Specialist. The position is based in the Chisinau project office with travel as needed throughout Moldova.
Your Background & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, public relations, communications or related field preferred;
- Relevant professional work experience on USAID-funded projects focusing on outreach and community engagement initiatives, citizen participation, civil society strengthening;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including in English;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated pro-active approach to problem solving;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Google communications;
- Professional proficiency in Romanian, English and Russian is required.
- You must have unrestricted authorization to work in Moldova.
Your Daily Tasks
- Support overall timely and successful implementation of Component 2 activities, in accordance with the Annual Implementation Plan. Together with the Community Engagement Specialist, the Program Coordinator will ensure proper planning, roll out and monitoring of activities and will ensure cross-component collaboration, as needed;
- Together with the Community Engagement Specialist, oversee successful implementation of the grant program to civil society organizations (such as, on social services that address the needs of refugees and their integration in communities or inclusion of the needs of youth in community priorities);
- Support CM’s reporting requirements by providing inputs into bi-weekly, quarterly and annual progress reports;
- Undertake administrative tasks related to the activities such as preparing list of participants, researching for items needed, preparing relevant documentation, support in the implementation of community engagement activities and community meetings and any other related task;
- Attend meetings and maintain ongoing communications with community stakeholders to achieve community support and engagement in the project;
- Other administrative and programmatic duties, as assigned.
Applicants may be selected for an interview on a rolling basis.