Moldova is classified as a lower-middle income country with the gross national income per capita at USD 2,980 in 2018, and the population living below the poverty line of USD 5.50 per day accounting at 16,3% in 2018. Moldova’s economic growth remained solid in the first three quarters of 2019, with output expanding nearly 5 percent, supported by a strong domestic demand, favourable external demand, but net trade dragging on growth. The fiscal deficit significantly overperformed the program target for 2019, despite widening to 1.5 percent of GDP in 2019. The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected the public budget requiring impressive resources to address the crisis, while revenues are decreasing due to the restrictions imposed on business.
The Republic of Moldova aims to strengthen its economic governance by adopting EU acquis and implementing EU best practices under the Association Agreement and the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area, signed between the Republic of Moldova and the European Union in 2014. Over the past years, the Moldovan Government has undertaken a considerable range of reform in public administration, public sector wage bill, investment and export sectors, pension system, etc. The Government subscribed to the SDGs in 2015 and nationalised the targets and indicators through a participatory process. With the support of UNDP, the Government elaborated Moldova 2030 National Development Strategy (NDS) aligned to the nationalised SDGs and stating 10 development priorities that shall allow a stronger focus on the priority sector reforms. The reforms will require strong capacities for assessing and setting the priority objectives at the sector level, as well as capacities and efficient tools for ensuring the budgeting process is aligned to the NDS and the nationalised SDGs, while the financial reporting is based on a thorough analysis of the efficiency of spending.
The project Objective is to further strengthen capacities of the public finance system stakeholders for integrating structural reforms in the national budget framework, improving budget efficiency and rationalising public spending to ensure the alignment of budget and financial flows to the priorities of Moldova 2030 National Development Strategy aligned to the nationalised SDGs and to the sector-specific priorities. The Project will provide support to the Ministry of Finance in further building capacities of selected Line Ministries and the Government as a whole for improving the budgetary planning, implementation and reporting by strengthening the analytical part of the process and the spending reviews effectiveness, using UNDP-elaborated Development Finance Assessment (DFA) methodology and the Ministry of Finance of Slovakia expertise, by expanding the spending review pilot carried out by IMF and Slovak experts in two Line Ministries (2018-2020), and by implementing the Integrated National Financing Framework (INFF) as an effective tool allowing to link the budget planning and financial flows with the NDS and with the sector strategies for enhancing efficiency of financial resources and a strong alignment of the financial flows to the country’s strategic goals.
The project will have high complementarity with other assistance interventions and will be focused on 2 areas: 1. Strengthening institutional capacities for setting up a robust system of optimisation and rationalisation of the public budget in line with the national (NDS) or sector priorities in order to direct the financial flows towards the implementation of the nationalized SDGs as described in the NDS; and 2. Strengthening budgetary process by enhancing institutional capacities in evidence-based decision-making; programme-based budgeting; macro-economic forecast; sector level DFA; structural reforms fiscal impact assessment; spending reviews; analysis on the effective use of resources, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UNDP Effective Governance Cluster Leader, the incumbent provides effective and efficient coordination of all components under the Project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, implementation, management, monitoring and reporting of the corresponding activities in line with the Project Document and the Multi-Year Work Plan. The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. He/she is responsible and accountable to the Project Steering Committee for the Project’s results.
The Project Manager works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other teams in the UNDP Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery. He/she also collaborates with other UN projects and other development partners in supporting the Ministry of Finance, selected Line Ministries and other national stakeholders. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Manager, under the guidance and supervision of UNDP Effective Governance Cluster Leader, will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and gender equality (GE) approaches. More specifically, the Project Manager will perform the following tasks:
Project Management and Coordination
- Ensure sound management of the Project from the planning to implementation and evaluation stages;
- Coordinate and ensure the timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products leading to the achievement of expected results;
- Ensure overall coordination of the activities of the Project and their coordination with other relevant UNDP Projects;
- Within the strategic framework concerted with the national counterparts, prepare work-plans reflecting the scope of activities, timing, sequencing, costs and other inputs for the implementation of the Project activities;
- Be responsible for the coordination of the overall Project Work Plan per indicators for achieving planned results, as well as for the overall management of the Project in accordance to prevailing UNDP rules, regulations and procedures;
- Liaise with the Project Steering Committee, national counterparts, donors and UNDP Country Office to ensure that Project results are achieved, and resources are managed efficiently and effectively;
- Ensure the effective management and supervision of human resources pertaining to the Project, including both staff, consultants and short-term experts; conduct periodic performance appraisals; build, lead and motivate a solid team of professionals; draft and validate terms of reference for international and national consultants;
- Ensure the efficient use of financial resources of the Project, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Continuously record and maintain relevant Project activities, issues, risks, etc. as per existing rules and procedures;
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences and related activities relevant to the overall implementation of the Project;
- Ensure high quality information and visibility of the Project activities to the mass media and stakeholders;
- Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Monitor Project implementation and activities versus set targets and indicators;
- Ensure timely and quality delivery of baseline, monitoring, evaluation plans and reports (flash, progress and final);
- Identify key performance indicators as well as develop and maintain a monitoring system to ensure effective information sharing, provision of feedback and elaboration of top quality progress reports;
- Present periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Project Steering Committee and UNDP, based on inputs provided by the Project team;
- Monitor overall allocation and disbursement of Project funds, ensuring funds are properly allocated and appropriate actions are taken to optimize their use;
- Contribute to UNDP reporting by providing inputs based on Project activities and results.
Knowledge Management and Sharing
- Ensure timely and proper documentation of the Project implementation process and products developed in accordance with the UNDP guides;
- Facilitate the development of a shared approach to human rights and gender equality in all beneficiary institutions;
- Document and analyze lessons learnt that might be useful to UN system at large and UNDP particularly;
- Advise UNDP on strategies and approaches aiming at strengthening the positioning in the public finance management area and contribute to the CO’s programming in the Democratic Governance area;
- Contribute to the codification and exchange of information and knowledge products within the programme and outside
Partnership and advocacy
- Facilitate partnership building among the targeted Line Ministries on the implementation of the Project;
- Ensure effective partnership, networking and coordination with other UNDP Projects, and other relevant development assistance Projects and activities in the country for a more holistic and coherent approach to the Project implementation.
The position has a direct impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UNDP interventions and activities in the assigned sectorial/thematic area of promoting democratic governance. By helping ensure effective design, planning, implementation, and M&E of assigned sectorial/thematic area and building networks and helping mobilize resources for these areas, the incumbent enhances the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programmes with strong impact on democratic frameworks to become representative, accountable and transparent for the benefit of citizens.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standard;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Leadership and self-management
- Proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives;
- Focuses on impact and results and responds positively to feedback;
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on Project and capacity development activities;
- Ability to establish priorities for self and others, achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high-quality standard throughout;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humor even under pressure.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP‘s strategic initiatives;
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Sound knowledge of the political context in the Republic of Moldova and of the governance institutions, population registration institutions and their structure;
- Strong knowledge of the electoral systems and processes;
- Strong analytical, drafting and communication skills;
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Project, managing data, reporting;
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems;
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in economy, finance, international economic relations, or equivalent (5-year University study).
- Additional training and certification in programme management would be an advantage.
- At least seven years of progressive working experience in the design, management and implementation of project-based activities, preferably related to democratic governance, strategic economy/finance advice, financing for development, and/or working in a relevant position to this post;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for or with a donor organization;
- Proven experience in working with governmental institutions, NGOs and international organizations; successful experience in working with UNDP will be a very strong advantage;
- Previous experience of work in the finance sector is a very strong advantage;
- Experience in managing a multidisciplinary team or coordination between different teams;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
To learn more and apply for this and other job vacancies please visit: https://www.md.undp.org/content/moldova/en/home/jobs.html
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.