The Embassy of Sweden in Chisinau is seeking a qualified individual for employment as National Program Officer. Job title: National Programme Officer (NPO) Duty station: Embassy of Sweden in Chisinau Grade: NPO Percentage of full-time employment: 100% (probation period 6 months). Deadline for application: August 10, 2020
The Swedish government adopted in March 2014 the strategy Results strategy for Sweden’s reform cooperation with Eastern Europe, the Western Balkans and Turkey 2014-2020 that also includes the Republic of Moldova. The objective of the strategy is to support partner countries to forge closer links with the European Union. The Embassy of Sweden in Chisinau has 15 staff members working with diverse tasks such as following the political and economic developments, promoting Sweden, managing EU (European Union) delegated funds and implementing the Swedish reform cooperation with the Republic of Moldova. The Embassy works as an integrated and results-oriented team.
The Swedish support in Moldova focuses on strengthening democracy, respect for human rights and rule of law, sustainable development (environment, climate and energy), and economic integration with the EU. Sweden is a leading bilateral development partner in Moldova. The Embassy is managing programmes and projects of around 12 million EUR annually.
In addition to Swedish bilateral programmes in Moldova, the Embassy is also managing 6,8 million EUR of EU delegated funds in the area of ICT. This initiative includes the establishment of a regional ICT centre for innovation in Cahul as well as promotion of technology and digital economy and facilitation of the emergence of start-ups. The project is part of the EU Single Support Framework for Moldova 2017– 2020, Sector 1: ‘Economic development and market opportunities, including sustainable and inclusive economic growth’.
The overall objective of the Action is to develop and strengthen the potential of the digital economy and enhance regional competitiveness, its business and its investment environment. The duration of the project is 2020-2024 (48 months).
The ‘EU4Moldova: Startup City Cahul’ will be developed in close synergy with the already ongoing project on ICT and Innovation, financed by USAID and Sweden.
The Embassy is setting up a small implementation team for the management of the EU delegated funds and is therefore recruiting a National Programme Officer with a relevant profile to assist the Swedish Programme Officer responsible for the project.
Duties and responsibilities
The main responsibilities of the National Programme Officer are:
- to strengthen the administrative capacity of the Embassy to manage the EU delegated funds related to the EU4Moldova: Startup City Cahul project;
- to establish and maintain contact with the implementing partner (ATIC) as well as the city of Cahul, Moldovan authorities and other actors, bilateral and multilateral donors as well as other relevant international organisations and civil society organisations. To support the day-to-day collaboration with the implementing partner and the EU Delegation - to ensure workplan activities are carried out as agreed;
- to administer and follow up actions within the field of cooperation, including preparation, risk analysis, results assessment, and financial monitoring and audit of the programme, as well as ensuring timely reporting to the EU Delegation;
- to monitor and analyse different catalytical aspects of the programme in relation to general relevant development in Moldova - also for bilateral Swedish reform cooperation;
- to support the communications and visibility activities related to the project, to closely work with other colleagues in the Development Cooperation Section of the Embassy and to liaise with colleagues at the EU Delegation in Moldova;
- to support the work of the Advisory Board and the Steering committee as per the role of the Swedish Embassy in these entities.
Professional and technical skills
- University degree in international relations, IT science, political science or another relevant subject;
- Good knowledge of the IT sector in Moldova;
- Good knowledge of Moldovan government structures and processes;
- Good knowledge and experience in project administration and monitoring;
- Experience working with private sector or other development partners in the area of innovation and start-ups is considered a merit.
- Good capacity of making comprehensive analysis;
- Good capacity of taking own initiatives, prioritising, and managing multiple processes simultaneously;
- Good judgement, integrity and self-knowledge;
- Good ability of writing clear, concise and analytic texts and assessments;
- Good communication skills including experience and ability to work in a team;
- Computer literacy.
- Fluent in Romanian and English, oral and written;
- Knowledge of Swedish and Russian is considered a merit.
Send a CV together with a cover letter in English, in which you briefly describe your interest for the vacant position and how you meet the requirements, to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: NPO vacancy – (your name). To be considered, your application shall be submitted (only electronic applications are accepted) by August 10th, 2020. Please note that applications will not be returned and only short-listed persons will be contacted (by e-mail).
For questions regarding the position, please contact the Head of Development Cooperation, Mr Adam Amberg at email@example.com.