Climate change is already profoundly impacting the conditions for resource availability and agricultural activities. Over the last decade, the country has experienced a number of extreme events, such as droughts and major floods, along with the incremental effects caused by increased mean temperature, and the uneven distribution of precipitation through the year, which have had negative consequences on the country’s economy, and its population wellbeing and health. Severe droughts are recurring more frequently causing significant economic losses. The increasing scope and intensity of extreme events has also resulted in increased frequencies of high-risk situations. By 2050, an increase of 2–3ºC in the average temperature, an additional 32 days that exceed the current maximum temperature by 10%, and an additional 12 days with zero precipitation are projected.
The Government sees the National Adaptation Planning (NAP) process as key to achieving the adaptation objectives outlined in its 2014 Climate Change Adaptation Strategy of the Republic of Moldova, and its 2020 Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC), as well as the continued mainstreaming of climate change considerations into its policies and budgeting processes. The proposed project supports the Government of the Republic of Moldova in advancing the second cycle of its National Adaptation Planning process (known as NAP-2). The outcomes of the NAP-2 national adaptation planning processes, are:
- Outcome 1: To strengthen and operationalize the national steering mechanism for climate change adaptation (CCA);
- Outcome 2: To improve the long-term capacity on planning and implementation of adaptation actions through CCA technologies;
- Outcome 3: To improve the mainstreaming of climate change adaptation through the increased alignment of national development priorities, in the priority sectors (forestry, health, energy and transport).
Scope of work
The main objective of the assignment is to undertake Technology Need Assessment with regard to climate change adaptation in water, health, transport, energy and forestry sectors, ranging from engaging with the stakeholders, identification of technology needs, its prioritization and assessment, to the development of Technology Action Plan and producing Project Ideas.
Summary of key functions:
The National Consultants shall apply a participatory approach in the TNA regarding climate adaptation of 5 (five) sectors of Moldova’s economy: water, transport, energy, health, and forestry involving a wide range of stakeholders and ensure a multi-sector and multi-disciplinary scope.
In close collaboration with the TNA Team Leader and the other TNA consultants, the National Consultants will support and facilitate sectoral Work Group (WG) activities. She/he will also ensure communication with sectoral Working Groups, other TNA team members, outreach to stakeholders on work products. More specifically to:
- Identify priority technologies for climate adaptation based on the following steps:
- provide an overview of possible adaptation technology options in the related to the assignment sector responsive to sectoral needs and emphasizing their adaptation potential based on identified sectoral vulnerabilities and currently (baseline) applied technologies referring to climate change,;
- prepare the Technology Fact Sheets (TFS) for the Long List of adaptation technology options (8-12 technologies) for the related to the assignment sector with the support of sectoral WG,;
- propose, discuss, and approve with WG the criteria of technology prioritization for related to the assignment sector;
- carry out, through a participatory process, sector level technology prioritization exercise and formulate the results of technological prioritization for related to the assignment sector.
- Prepare the TNA report according to the above-mentioned steps of technology prioritisation
- Conduct barrier analysis and propose the Enabling Framework for the deployment and diffusion of the sector's top three prioritised technologies according to the following steps:
- undertake the analysis of market and barriers for development, deployment and diffusion of priority technologies chosen for adaptation;
- produce market maps and problem trees for each of the prioritized technology;
- describe linkages of the identified barriers;
- identify measures to overcome barriers;
- propose Enabling Framework to overcome identified barriers for the chosen technologies.
In case prioritised technologies are complex and have a cross-cutting nature, please, provide common enabling policies and actions which can help address the barriers for technologies from multiple sectors.
- Prepare climate change adaptation Barrier Analysis and Enabling Framework (BAEF) report for the prioritised technologies.
- Prepare a Technology Action Plan (TAP) for each prioritised technology
In collaboration with the sectoral Work Group, the National Consultant will provide a short comprehensive description of the action plan for sectoral adaptation technologies, which can be read and understood as a stand-alone document - the Technology Action Plan (TAP). The NC will:
- develop a Technology Action Plan for deployment and diffusion of prioritised technologies in the country;
- formulate the TAP based on the following main components: sector overview, ambition for the TAP, actions and activities selected for inclusion in the TAP, stakeholders and timeline for implementation of TAP, Estimation of Resources Needed for Action and Activities, Management Planning.
- Produce sectoral Report on TAPs and compilation of sectoral CCA Technology Roadmap.
- Formulate, based on TAP, the Project Ideas (PI) for the prioritised technologies as concrete actions supporting the realisation of the overall target indicated in the TAP for the sector. The Project Ideas should contain description/background; objectives; components and indicative activities; expected results, partners.
- The TNA consultants will have the responsibilities to attend capacity building events on applied methodological approach in sectoral CCA TNA.
For detailed information, please refer to Annex 1 – Terms of Reference.
Requirements for experience
- University degree in water resources, transport, health, forestry, energy or other relevant fields related to the assignment
- At least 5 years of working experience in the related to the assignment sector;
- Extensive knowledge of - and experience with - climate change relevant policies and technologies at the sector and national level;
- Familiarity with national development objectives and needs of the selected sector;
- Familiarity with climate change science, potential climate change impacts and adaptation needs in the selected sector;
- Good coordination and facilitation skills, as well as proven analytical capabilities and excellent writing skills;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc);
- Fluency in Romanian and good knowledge of English is required for this assignment, Russian is and asset.
Proven commitment to the core values of the United Nations, in particular, respecting differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, language, age, HIV status, disability, and sexual orientation, or other status. Please mention in CV if you belong to the group(s) under-represented in the UN Moldova and/or the area of assignment.
UNDP Moldova is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Lump sum contracts
The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, and payment terms around specific and measurable (qualitative and quantitative) deliverables (i.e. whether payments fall in installments or upon completion of the entire contract). Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR. In order to assist the requesting unit in the comparison of financial proposals, the financial proposal will include a breakdown of this lump sum amount (including fees, taxes, travel costs, accommodation costs, communication, and number of anticipated working days) (see Annex 2 of the Offeror’s Letter Confirming Interest and availability attached to this Procurement Notice).
Documents to be included
Applicants shall submit the following documents:
☒ Offeror's Letter confirming Interest and Availability, including financial offer, according to Annex 2;
☒ CV, including information about experience in similar assignments;
☒ Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment (please indicate to which sector are you applying for (i.e. water, energy, health, forestry, transport sectors)).
For detailed information, please refer to Terms of Reference and procurement Notice by following the link:UNDP Moldova | Vacancy: 5 National Consultants in conducting Adaptation Technology Needs Assessment, phase II and III in water, energy, health, forestry, transport sectors (NAP-2), UNDP Moldova
Proposals should be submitted online by pressing the "Apply Online" button, no later than 2nd of April 2021, 18:00(GMT+2:00).
Requests for clarification only must be sent by standard electronic communication to the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. UNDP will respond by standard electronic mail and will send written copies of the response, including an explanation of the query without identifying the source of inquiry, to all applicants.