CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Senior Shelter Technical Assistant
Chisinau, with frequent travels in country
General Service Staff
Type of Appointment:
All Inclusive Salary:
Special Short-Term Ungraded
Six months with possibility of extension
20000 MDL per month
Estimated Start Date:
As soon as possible
16 May 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Following the launch of military operations across Ukrainian territory on 24 February 2022, substantive flows and displacements across Ukraine and toward neighbouring countries have been reported countries in the following days. As response to the Ukrainian crisis, IOM Chisinau has increased operational activities which requires additional administrative staff.
Under the overall supervision of the Emergency Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Shelter/CBI Programme Manager, the Senior Shelter Technical Assistant will be accountable for professional technical contribution to the implementation of shelter project activities within the framework of the emergency response program in Moldova, in accordance with IOM procedures, and in close coordination with other units.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Collect gap and needs information in coordination with IOM field staff and external parties.
- Coordinate and conduct need assessment and analyse the assessment report for selecting project beneficiaries.
- Monitor that the construction is carried out according to the drawing and specification provided by IOM. Record and report any deviation from the original design along with the reasons for the change.
- In consultation with the Programme Manager, authorize site specific modifications using Change order form. Report the changes to the Procurement Unit to ensure that the procurement and contracts are adjusted accordingly.
- Carry out site planning, design and Bill of Quantities (BoQs) as needed in the field for Shelter construction works in the field.
- Closely work with Project assistants in the field sub-offices to ensure that required construction materials are procured and delivered to the respective sites in a timely manner.
- Closely work with the Programme Manager to ensure that proper authorization for land from the government are obtained, providers of other essential services such as water sanitation, electricity and other basic amenities are identified and contacted prior to the commencement of construction works.
- Draft material delivery schedule well in advance and share it with the Programme Manager and Procurement & Logistics Unit.
- Prepare time schedule and monitor the progress against it. Report the Shelter and Settlements Officer immediately regarding any discrepancy.
- Prepare final BoQ for the completed works; prepare materials reconciliation form prior to the certification of the works and thus payment to the contractor.
- Assist the Programme Manager and Finance Unit for the contract management; close out procedures and final payment to the contractors.
- Submit weekly progress report to the Programme Manager.
- Represent IOM shelter and settlement programme in relevant technical meetings for the Government and/or Shelter and relevant Sectors.
- Provide necessary information and documentation to the Programme Manager for the preparation of project proposals and for the project reports.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Constructions, or related field with three years of relevant professional experience; Or,
- High School diploma with five years of relevant experience.
- Preferably 3+ year(s) of relevant experience in the construction industry.
- Experience in community mobilization and engagement and mediating among local actors is an asset.
- Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook etc). Versatile in use of design related software (e.g. AutoCAD) and ability to prepare schedules/bills of quantities and cost estimates.
- A sound and up-to-date knowledge of the building industry, local construction techniques and materials.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to present clear and concise information and good communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to learn new programming modalities quickly.
- Fluent Romanian and good knowledge in Russian.
- Basic English.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators (Level 1)
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this special vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, security clearances and a valid COVID certification.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are invited to send the CV and cover letter in English to: email@example.com
Please, indicate the position you are applying for and reference code in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 29 May 2022, however interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts the applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 23.05.2022 to 29.05.2022