The primary functions of project control are to complement programme management and provide support for oversight of projects including the formulation of a monitoring plan, quality assurance, and verification. Other activities of project control include: review of project agreements, project audit, monitoring that there is synchrony between financial and operational performance, participation in multi-functional monitoring activities and reviews, tracking project risk management, and supporting project closure.
It is essential to maintain segregation of duties between project control and programme functions for effective accountability and oversight. Where there is no Project Control Officer, General Service staff performing project control functions should report directly to the Head of Office.
The Senior Project Control Associate receives general guidance and work plans from the supervisor. They work independently on regular assignments under the supervision of the Project Control Officer or to the same management level as programme. The incumbent normally supervises other general service staff.
Project Control staff play a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships, and often interact with implementing partners. As a result, incumbents need to be very mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in their interaction with partners (in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to reviewing the internal control systems of implementing partners.
- Contribute to reviewing that IP agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Monitor that a complete record is maintained for all projects.
- Contribute to reviewing, analyzing and verifying Financial and Performance Implementing Partner Reports (Part I-IPFR and Part II-IPR), and to checking accuracy and consistency between IPFR and IPR, in accordance with project agreements.
- Ensure that the funds obligated under an IP agreement permit the payment of the next installment or a disbursement, confirming the status of installments already paid.
- Support timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
- Contribute to tracking the management of project risks in collaboration with the programme unit, and report major risks to senior management.
- Monitor, track and verify that expenditure for direct implementation by UNHCR is in line with the approved budget.
- Bring to the attention of supervisors and programme officers any significant variances at the office level in: budget execution, percentage of project execution, time schedule, and quality of projects against specifications or terms and conditions.
- Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
- Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
Recommend acceptance or non-acceptance of IPRs and payment of instalments.
- Advise on improvements related to project management and internal controls.
- Contact implementing partners for project related matters.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 - 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications. Excellent communication skills.
Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures. Good understanding of accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS). Working experience with ERP financial modules (such as PeopleSoft, Oracle or SAP).
FI-Finance - Accrual accounting (IPSAS/IFRS)
FI-Auditing practical experience
IT-ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Functional Knowledge
UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Judgement and Decision Making
Planning and Organizing
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
Interested applicants are invited to send the CV and cover letter in English to: MDACHHR@unhcr.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.