The new phase of EU Confidence Building Measures Programme, funded by the European Union and implemented by UNDP, has the overall objective to contribute to the facilitation of the settlement of the Transnistrian conflict by supporting the increase of confidence between Chisinau and Tiraspol through joint initiatives involving local authorities, civil society organizations and other stakeholders from both sides of the river.Specific objectives:
• To contribute to economic and social development by ensuring a more equal access to the opportunities provided by the AA and its DCFTA and integration between the two banks of the Nistru River;
• To tackle the growing disparity between the Transnistrian Region and the rest of the country by supporting local development and CSOs;
• To continue supporting the sectoral rapprochement in pilot sectors (i.e. Culture and others) and to progressively include Transnistria in Moldovan-wide development initiatives in order to facilitate the future reintegration while limiting the development gap between both banks;
• To support the activities of media on both banks of Nistru river through common media production.
The programme will represent a framework for engaging in development interventions across the security zone on both sides of the Nistru/Dniestr River, in line with agreements reached in the 5+2 negotiation process. As such, it is comprised of a series of activities that will strengthen, regularize and intensify interaction between otherwise divided societies, aiming to establish this interaction as a norm. It looks to deal strategically with barriers to cooperation experienced by all development cooperation actors working in Transnistria by building the trust towards such actions and broadening opportunities for engagement for a wide range of actors. Special focus will be given to balancing the actual support of the programme to communities on both banks of the Nistru/Dniestr River.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager and in coordination with the EU CBM Project Managers, the Communication and Media Officer will ensure visibility and manage all aspects of awareness raising and communication of the EU CBM Programme, in full compliance with the Joint Visibility Guidelines for EC-UN Actions in the Field. The Programme objectives, successes and impacts will be communicated to a large public via print and broadcast media and via high-profile events. The Communication and Media Officer will, under the guidance of the Programme Manager, assume full responsibility for the effective implementation of the communication and visibility activities within EU CBM, including coordination of short-term project experts.
The Project Officer works in close collaboration with the Project team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Communication and Media Officer in close cooperation with the project team, under the direct guidance and supervision of the Programme Manager, will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Programme) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. More specifically:
- Develop a media and awareness raising strategy and take the lead on its implementation in close partnership with UNDP and EU Delegation media specialists;
- Identify and cultivate key contacts in both the print and the broadcast media on both banks of the Nistru/Dniestr River;
- Develop a professional media package to provide background information about the project, and establish processes for: (i) regular communication with media contacts; (ii) regular production of press releases; (iii) advising and assisting EU CBM Programme partners in managing local media interest at the community level;
- Undertake continuous monitoring of the impacts of the media strategy through both a media log and a log of enquiries arising from media exposure;
- Elaborate, implement and continuously monitor a communication and visibility plan in promotion of the visibility of project results including appropriate feedback mechanisms and monitoring tools;
- Deliver concrete visibility promotion activities as identified in the plan;
- Identify appropriate suppliers for the provision of goods and services for EU CBM Programme activities under the communication plan;
- Write TORs for short-term experts to be hired in implementing activities related to communication and visibility;
- Lead, coordinate work of, and evaluate project consultants working on EU CBM Programme activities related to communication and visibility;
- Develop concepts of various communication products such as TV programmes, publications and other promotional and information materials;
- Write stories, press releases, blog posts and news about the projects’ most important achievements to be placed in the national media as well as in the local and regional websites;
- Ensure compliance with all corporate rules and regulations of EU and UNDP in the field of communication and visibility promotion and reporting, specifically the Joint Visibility Guidelines for EC-UN Actions in the field; produce relevant reports according to the rules and procedures of EU and UNDP;
- Respond to queries from the Government, UNDP and EU with respect to communication and visibility aspects of the project;
- Prepare periodical reports on communication/media activities and expenses;
- Provide technical assistance to project beneficiaries and when necessary, travel for control and monitoring purposes to EU CBM field projects;
- Undertake any other related tasks requested on an ad hoc basis.
Key Results:The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Support to Confidence Building Measures Programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values.
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Functional Competencies:Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities.
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives.
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines.
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff.
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Profound knowledge of public institutions, PR agencies, news agencies and media in Moldova and abroad.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills; including the ability to effectively communicate with persons from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government required. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting.
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to achieve results and deadlines in a timely manner, maintaining a high standard throughout.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document.
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities.
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-back.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Journalism, Communication/Media Studies or other closely related field.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience is n working with the media, a significant proportion of which should involve taking a leading role in conducting high-level media and awareness raising campaigns successfully targeting national press, television and radio.
- Experience of work in the Transnistria region and a good understanding of the related context is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in similar positions in a UNDP and/or EU-funded project is a very strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, design/media software, social media, and experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Knowledge of one or more minority languages relevant for Moldova, including Romani, Gagauzian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and sign language, is an asset.
UNDP is an employer devoted to gender equity and to providing equal opportunities to both women and men.UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
Vacancy End Date: 23 December 2020
TO APPLY PLEASE ADDRESS THE LINK BELOW: https://bit.ly/2Kepcn5