I. Information about the position
Name of position: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Assistant
Expected length of employment: 10 months
Type of position: Full-time
Place of employment: Chisinau, Moldova
Start date: ASAP
Direct line management: MEAL Coordinator
II. Organizational context
Caritas Czech Republic (CCR) is a non-profit organization based in Prague that implements humanitarian aid and development cooperation projects in 15 countries across the world (Europe, Asia, Middle East and Africa).
We have been working in Moldova since 2004. Over the years, we implemented 32 development cooperation projects in home and social care, small business development, civil society development, agriculture, lively hoods support and inclusion areas. In 2017, we were registered in Moldova through our exclusive partner - AO Pro-Development - and started implementing projects directly through a local team.
Our strategic objectives are focused on the following priority intervention sectors: civil society development, inclusive social development, primary healthcare support, innovation and waste/water management.
More information on CCR’s work in Moldova can be found on:
- our website https://moldova.charita.cz/ and
- on our fb page: https://www.facebook.com/CCRinMoldova
Presently, we also implement humanitarian aid projects supporting refugees from Ukraine residing in Moldova.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant will work under direct supervision of MEAL coordinator and in close cooperation with MEAL Officer and other MEAL team members and contribute the development of high-quality monitoring tools, promoting accountability to affected populations, documenting lessons learned from project activities, and assisting in project evaluations. The MEAL Assistant will support the direct implementation of all MEAL processes and activities in their office and during field trips. These processes will include training enumerators and participating in post distribution monitoring, complaints management received through complaints response mechanism, and reporting the results MEAL activities to the MEAL coordinator and project team. The MEAL Assistant will manage the day-to-day MEAL functions at their sub-base office and support the MEAL Officer in the development of MEAL tools and implementation of MEAL activities. The main responsibilities will be as follows:
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Assist the MEAL Coordinator in MEAL tool development, contextualization and translation;
- Measure and report on indicators in compliance with established methodologies and tools;
- Implement and update the MEAL plan on a monthly basis, including the collection, entry and basic analysis of project data;
- Review questionaries, collected data and other relevant documents for each project activity, providing regular reports to the MEAL Coordinator and Officer;
- Provide weekly and monthly reports to the MEAL Coordinator and Officer;
- Train operators in data collection and supervise the operators during monitoring and evaluation exercises;
- Work closely with project team, following their work plans and updating the MEAL plan accordingly;
- Work with the MEAL Coordinator to conduct assessments, research and other M&E activities; facilitate focus groups and other qualitative data collection exercises.
- Document all feedback and complains received from beneficiaries and local communities and ensure that the feedback is addressed in a timely manner;
- Ensure all beneficiaries are treated with respect, confidentiality and are provided with informed consent.
- Support project field staff in ensuring that projects is carried out with participation from all affected communities (especially vulnerable groups) and that information is shared with affected communities.
- Work with the project teams and Communications Officer to ensure documentation of project learning initiatives and outcomes (case studies, photos, lessons learnt, most significant change stories, etc).
- Participate in the documentation and dissemination of learnings to the other team members, ensuring that good practice is understandable and adopted and information exchanged.
- Promote a culture of shared learning and staff openness and transparency about using past mistakes to improve future implementation;
- Focus on the development of their MEAL capacity and growth in their role.
- University degree in social sciences related – Statistics, Social Work, Sociology or equivalent field experience
- Preferably minimum of 1 year experience in monitoring and evaluation, research or impact assessment projects.
- Experience working in humanitarian and development projects in the Moldova or abroad
- Knowledge of national and international programming and humanitarian standards will be considered and asset.
- Knowledge of and commitment to participatory approaches to working with communities.
- Good analytical and conceptualization skills and ability to think strategically
- Highly organized with good attention to detail and developed ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills - able to communicate and report on technical points, both oral and in writing.
- Willing to be accountable for work conducted.
- Communicates honestly, openly, and consistently. Shares information appropriately and ensures that views of team members are freely expressed.
- Encourages positive viewpoint.
- Familiar with online data collection tools, such as Microsoft and Google Forms.
- Good numeracy skills with knowledge of budgeting and cost estimation processes are required.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work sensitively with people from various cultural and social backgrounds.
- Fluency in Rumanian and Russian (written and spoken) is essential;
- English is considered an advantage.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office and other related programs.
- Strong skills in Excel.
- Experience with data management software such as IBM SPSS is considered an advantage.
- Functional knowledge of statistics and data processing
- Experience in collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data
- Experience in integrated program / community development
- Experience and knowledge of Database and mapping software.
- Available to work in the office 8 h/day.
- Able to work flexible hours when necessary to carry out the task completion.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy
- Ability to work on his/her owns initiative as well as a part of a team.
- Have a high sense of urgency and a well-developed work ethic
V. What we offer
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid vacation, social and medical package according to national legislation
- Stable international organization with a long experience in the field of development cooperation
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their CV with a cover letter by June 13, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org with email subject or reference: MEAL Assistant.
The applications are reviewed on continual basis and a suitable candidate may be hired before the deadline. CCR reserves the right to cancel the selection process at any time.