Position: Component 3 Lead - Financial Sector Reforms
Program: USAID Moldova Institutional and Structural Reforms Activity Program (MISRA)
Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Period of Performance: June 2022 – April 2027
Nathan Associates Inc. is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence, Nathan has corporate offices in the US, UK, and India and more than 25 program offices around the world.
The USAID Moldova Institutional and Structural Reforms Activity (MISRA) seeks to support Moldova’s economic recovery, advance the Government of Moldova’s economic Action Plan, strengthen public economic governance institutions, improve the trade and investment enabling environment, and accelerate financial sector reforms and inclusiveness.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Component 3 Lead - Financial Sector Reforms will be responsible for the following, but not limited to:
- Leads Component 3 activities, including provision of results-oriented support to the GoM in in expanding retail investment and increasing access to financial services for underserved segments of the population; diversifying and strengthening the financial sector, facilitating the government’s use of electronic transactions and payments, and incentivizing the development of private FinTech solutions;
- Integrates best practices from the region in financial sector governance, inclusion, and digital finance;
- Conducts assessment of Moldova’s financial ecosystem, including completion of an insurance market assessment; and makes recommendations designed to improve the overall stability and soundness of the financial sector and maintain consumer confidence.
- Convenes and supports financial regulators, financial sector actors, the private sector, and civil society to explore opportunities for retail investment in private and public securities.
- Supports creation of a National Financial Inclusion Strategy and conducts a review of the needed regulatory environment required for expanded digital financial services; including regulatory oversight.
- Operationalizes technical vision for Component 3 objective; marshals staff and other resources as required to deliver on vision;
- Collaborates with COP and Grants & Procurement Manager to identify grant opportunities that advance Component 3 objective results;
- Contributes to overall Component 3 activity design; oversees activity budgets; provides regular updates to the COP on activity progress and monitoring and evaluation of results as needed;
- Contributes to weekly, quarterly, and annual reporting requirements for USAID and to local counterparts as needed;
- Identifies and manages short-term consultants providing assistance to achieve program goals and targets relevant to Component 3; and
- Performs other duties that may be assigned by COP to successfully implement program.
The Component 3 Lead - Financial Sector Reforms will report to the Chief of Party (COP).
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics, Finance, International Development, or a related field;
- 6-10 years of experience working in financial sector development with a demonstrated understanding of the sector in Moldova and the relevant governing authorities.
- Strong organizational and project management skills;
- Excellent research and report writing skills;
- Comprehensive computer skills, in particular Word, Excel, and Power Point; and
- Strong organizational skills and excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills; and
- Fluency in English and Romanian.
Desired Skills and Qualifications (if applicable):
- Strong networks with Government of Moldova financial regulators (e.g., NBM, NCFM, CSD, etc.); and
- Experience working with digital financial services, including mobile money, electronic payment systems, and agent banking.
How to apply:
If you meet all the minimum requirements above and you would like to apply for this position, send a cover letter (one page maximum) and a CV (three pages maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Applying for Component 3 Lead - Financial Sector Reforms” in the subject line. The deadline to apply is June 5, 2022. If applying to multiple positions, please send a separate email for each position. Only the top three finalists will be invited to an interview.