The Study of the U.S. Institutes for Secondary Educators are intensive post-graduate level academic programs with integrated study tours whose purpose is to provide foreign secondary school educators and administrators the opportunity to deepen their understanding of U.S. society, culture, values, and institutions. The ultimate goal of the Institutes is to strengthen curricula and to enhance the quality of teaching about the United States in secondary schools and other academic institutions abroad. The program takes place over the course of five weeks beginning in late May/early June. Three types of Institutes for Secondary Educators are offered – two with a focus on classroom teachers and the third with a focus on administrators including teacher trainers, curriculum developers, textbook writers, and ministry of education officials, among others.
The Study of the U.S. Institutes for Secondary Educators will provide three multinational groups of 20 experienced secondary school educators with a deeper understanding of U.S. society, education, and culture – past and present. The focus of the Institutes will be on providing content and materials for participants to develop high school level curricula about the United States. The four-week academic residencies will take place at U.S. universities, colleges, or other academic institutions and will consist of a balanced series of lectures, panels, seminar discussions, readings, workshops, site visits, meetings with practitioners in the field, and cultural activities. One-week study tours to a different region of the United States will complement the four-week academic residencies.
Candidates for this program must:
- have citizenship and live in the Republic of Moldova at the time of application (permanent residents of the Transnistrian region may be considered regardless of citizenship)
- be eligible for a U.S. J-1 visa. Program participants must return to and reside in Moldova for two years after completion of their program;
- are mid-career educators, typically between the ages of 30-50;
- are highly motivated and experienced secondary school teachers and administrators;
- are individuals who are seeking to introduce or enhance aspects of U.S. studies into their curricula or to offer specialized seminars/workshops for education professionals in U.S. studies or related fields.
- have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- have special interest in the secondary education as demonstrated through past scholarship, accomplishments, and professional duties;
- have firm plans to enhance, update or develop courses and/or educational materials with a U.S. studies focus or component.
English language ability: All candidates must be proficient in English so that they can actively participate in the academic program.
The University of Montana in Missoula, MT will oversee and administer the three SUSIs for Secondary Educators and will conduct the following institutes:
A. Institute for teachers which will explore American studies through the lens of democracy and citizenship.
B. Institute for teachers which will explore the ways in which individual rights and social obligations have evolved through American history.
D. Institute for Administrators and will focus on sociocultural understanding, equitable learning communities, and diversity and inclusion in U.S. education and society.
How to apply
To apply you have to write a short essay where it is extremely important to convey your interest in participating in the Institute, what you expect to gain and what you will contribute to the Institute. The personal statement should also address how you will leverage the experience to achieve other potential outcomes. In addition, the essay should describe your capacity to amplify the impact of the program beyond your research and knowledge. Limit your essay to 250 words.
Submit the essay along with your CV to education-Moldova@state.gov no later than 00:00 PM December 19th, 2021.
Please indicate in the subject line the Program’s name SUSI Secondary Educators and the Institute you are applying for.
For more information, please visit: https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/program/study-us-institutes
If you have questions, please write to: email@example.com
Contribuie la continuarea proiectului CIVIC.MD. Devino susținător, donează aici.