The Finance Associate post is located in the UNFPA Moldova Country Office (CO) in Chisinau. The incumbent will be part of the operations team and will work under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager (OM). S/He takes a client-oriented, results-focused approach to interpreting the rules, procedures and guidelines provides support and guidance to the CO, and supports OM in leadership and guidance to operations staff and project support staff in Country Office (CO).
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA's new strategic plan (2022-2025) focuses on the three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results. We need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In support of UNFPA’s strategic direction at the CO, the Finance Associate contributes to building CO capacity and ensuring effective and efficient application of country office’s resources through support and monitoring of resources in the following activities: finance and budget management, as well as travel management.
The Finance Associate would be responsible for:
Assisting OM in strategic management of Country Office Financial Resources
- Contribute to strategic and efficient management of financial resources through planning and tracking of available resources, exercising appropriate financial controls and ensuring corporate financial policies are met.
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of finance processes within the CO and ensure compliance of the office business practices with the provisions of the UNFPA Policies and Procedures, work practices, and processes and drives changes for improvement where and when necessary.
- Interpret financial policies and procedures and provide guidance and training to CO personnel and identify ways in which financial needs can be met within existing policies.
- Assist in the preparation of programme and operating budgets, ensure financial transactions are in accordance with UNFPA financial rules and procedures, propose procedures to improve internal controls and efficiency, and respond to audit issues.
- Compile the necessary data for financial performance analysis of the CO and support oversight activities of the CO.
- Provide accurate and up-dated financial information and reports to OM on a continuous basis, including statements, accounts reconciliations, and balance sheets, as required.
- Process financial transactions, including payments to vendors, claims, cost recovery, billing, overtime payments and etc. in a timely manner, liaise with UNDP to verify that financial transactions are made on time including the refund of money deposited in UNDP account; and ensure accuracy of computation, chart of accounts and attachment of required documents.
- Ensure the effective financial recording and reporting system, including preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly accountability checklists and year-end certifications and reporting in an accurate and timely manner;
- Review and monitor charges for common services and cost recovery taking into account maximum cost efficiency and represents UNFPA’s interest in related negotiations and agreements.
Assist OM in implementation of audit recommendations and improvement of overall office compliance and accountability, including assessment and implementation of operation risks and fraud mitigation in line with enterprise risk management framework.
- Act as ERP focal person and perform finance user functions and carry out capacity building activities for CO staff and projects.
- Handle finance and banking related matters for the office operations, and answer related queries.
- Assisting OM in efficient and accurate management of funds entrusted to Programme Implementing Partners (IPs):
- Assist in the effective monitoring and follow up of funds transferred to relevant Implementing Partners (IPs) through direct National Implementation (NEX) modality.
- Ensure that financial transactions, including advances of funds to implementing partners, are processed in an accurate and timely way by reviewing supporting documents and ensuring that advances and expenditures are in accordance with relevant policies and procedures.
- Review and assess whether the amount reported on the statements of expenditures issued by the IPs (Funding authorization and certificate of expenditures - FACE form) correspond to the amounts recorded in the Implementing Partners’ accounting system, the approved budget, and reconciles to the bank statements.
- Perform periodic spot checks (on-site reviews) to assess the accuracy of the financial records for cash transfers to the IPs, the appropriateness and integrity of relevant supporting documents, the status of programme implementation, and ensure timely follow up of previous spot checks findings and recommendations.
- Review the IPs’ internal controls with respect to financial management, procurement and/or other controls required to implement the activities defined in the work plan; and reviewing expenditures to confirm that documentation supports the expenditures and that they are in accordance with the work plan, project document and other UNFPA’s regulations, as applicable.
- Follow up with relevant implementing partners (IPs) to ensure IPs’ timely implementation of audit recommendations on internal controls and project management.
- Assist in strengthening the performance of administrative and financial staff of implementing partners through periodic on-site one-on-one training as well as group training.
Assisting OM in efficient travel management and travel monitoring of the Country Office
- Prepare and maintain up-to-date travel plan for the office, securing timely approval by the Head of Office;
- Ensure smooth running of the travel processes, reviewing and adjusting when necessary SOPs to maximize the efficiency, providing policy advice to CO and project staff;
- Maintain contact with UNFPA Travel Agent and UNDP to ensure that the provided by them services are timely and of high quality;
- Undertake travel monitoring and reconciliation on the timely manner, compiling expenditure and analytical reports for the CO Management on period basis
- Processing related cost recovery and billing in a timely manner.
Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification and Experience:
Completed Secondary Level Education required.
First level university degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or similar discipline is desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in finance and budget management.
- Proven experience and track record in successfully managing and implementing financial policies, processes and systems in development organizations at national or international level.
- Proficiency in current Microsoft Office applications (especially Microsoft Excel and Word).
- Experience in using ERP system (e.g. PeopleSoft, Oracle, SAP) or similar computerized applications.
- Ability to produce analytical reports and write clearly and concisely.
- Working experience with UN organization is desirable.
Fluency in English and Romanian is required.
Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change.
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact.
- Managing the organization’s financial resources
- Implementing management systems
- Fraud and operational risks management
- Business acumen and ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities.
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches.
- Pro-activeness and client orientation.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.
The United Nations Organization is committed to diversity and inclusion. Women, persons from vulnerable groups, such as persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic, linguistic, or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, refugees and other noncitizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, as well as persons from other underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply on-line for this position and read more detailed information, please visit:
Applications for this position must be received by 25 April 2023, 17.00 ET
Alte anunturi de angajare
- UNFPA Programme Analyst on Gender/GBV, NO-B (FTA), Chisinau, Moldova
- Instituția Publică Organizația pentru Dezvoltarea Antreprenoriatului anunță concurs pentru funcția de specialist superior, Secția evaluare riscuri și analiză, Fondul pentru antreprenoriat și creștere economică a Moldovei
- OSCE Mission to Moldova is hiring Drivers (G2) Roster Call
- Financial Analyst Position - CILC Haga Sucursala din Republica Moldova
- Centrul de Drept al Avocatilor angajeaza consilier juridic in Hagimus
- Centrul Regional de Dezvoltare Comunitară este în căutare de Fundraiser!
- Organizația HelpAge International contractează un formator/ o formatoare / o echipă de formatori sau o companie ce va presta servicii de instruire și consultanță privind dezvoltarea activităților generatoare de venituri pentru persoanele în etate
- HelpAge International contractează experți sau companii de consultanță pentru instruiri în domeniul comunicare, marketing și sustenabilitate a activităților generatoare de venit pentru vârstnici
- Programme Associate TA (GS6) - OHCHR
- Green Transition Officer: Part-time: Online