Job title: Programme Analyst on Population and Development
Position Number: 00033960
Location: Chisinau, Republic of Moldova
Full/Part time: Full-Time
Fixed term/Temporary: Fixed Term
Rotational/Non Rotational: Non-Rotational
Duration: One year (renewable)
Please note that this position is open to nationals of the Republic of Moldova only.
UNFPA in Moldova
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is the lead United Nations agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
On the ground, UNFPA works in about 150 countries worldwide and nearly 20 countries in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. In Moldova, it has been present since 1995, more than 25 years by now.
UNFPA Moldova works in the areas of:
- sexual and reproductive health and rights
- adolescents and youth empowerment
- gender equality
- population and development
We help the country address the demographic concerns, by improving population data to better understand and address the demographic changes, building the demographic resilience through intergenerational solidarity programs between young and older persons, and integration of family-friendly policies in the business environment.
Our priority remains on achieving gender transformation, social equity and ensuring continuation of the life-saving sexual and reproductive health information and services especially during emergencies, such as the current COVID-19 protracted crisis.
We focus on the most vulnerable and excluded populations, women and young people with disabilities, HIV-affected, older persons, low-income families, ethnic and sexual minorities, advancing their rights and needs, to make sure that no one is left behind.
The Programme Analyst analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends, guiding and facilitating the delivery of UNFPA’s programmes in the area of population and development. You will report to the UNFPA Assistant Representative.
Working within a large and complex Country Office (CO) environment, you will support the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of population and development. Through substantive analysis and assessment of political, social and economic trends, you will contribute to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. You will monitor results achieved during implementation, guiding the appropriate application of systems and procedures, and developing enhancements as required.
You would be responsible for:
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, contributing to the design and implementation of the country programme and its component projects, aligning with Government priorities and UNFPA programme policies and procedures.
- Ensuring appropriate monitoring and oversight mechanisms and systems are established and implemented.
- Lead population and development portfolio, provide strategic vision, and align it with national and regional developments and priorities.
- Managing the team under the population and development portfolio, provide oversight, coaching and mentoring to ensure delivery of Country Programme results.
- Design programmes and strategic interventions of UNFPA to advance the SDGs and demographic resilience in the Republic of Moldova;
- Advice, support and coordinate programmes for strengthening and innovating statistical system and other longitudinal studies, and identify and propose mitigating actions for challenges of national partners and modalities for advancing the data agenda.
- Analysing and interpreting the political, social and economic environment relevant to UNFPA activities, and identifying opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention.
- Analysing policy papers, strategy documents and national development plans; preparing briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks.
- Assessing implications of new policy developments and strategies on programme execution, and ensuring their integration.
- Establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies to facilitate timely and efficient delivery on population and development portfolio.
- Assisting in implementing knowledge management strategies to capture lessons learned and best practices, sharing these with management for future planning supporting training needs of project personnel
- Supporting the advocacy and resource mobilisation strategy of the CO, by ensuring preparation of relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in related meetings and public events.
- Perform any other tasks as required by Representative.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced degree in population, demography, sociology and/or other related social science discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Two years professional experience in the field of population and development, with experience in programme/ project management.
- Previous experience in working in the area of data would be considered an asset.
- Practical experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects
- Experience using office software packages and web-based management systems.
Fluency in English and Romanian; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably Russian, is desirable.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply on-line for this position and read more detailed information, please visit: