Position: Senior Structural Reform Expert
Program: USAID Moldova Institutional and Structural Reforms Activity (MISRA)
Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Period of Performance: July 2022 – April 2027
Jacobs, Cordova & Associates offers a wide range of services in regulatory reform, rule of law and governance. Jacobs, Cordova & Associates have designed the world’s largest and most innovative regulatory reform projects aimed at changing the market incentives that drive business behavior in highly regulated environments.
The USAID Moldova Institutional and Structural Reforms Activity Program (MISRA) seeks to support Moldova’s economic recovery, advance the Government of Moldova’s economic Action Plan, strengthen public economic governance institutions, improve the trade and investment enabling environment, and accelerate financial sector reforms and inclusiveness.
MISRA is implemented by Nathan Associates Inc. and Jacobs, Cordova & Associates is a subcontractor of Nathan Associates Inc. for implementation of MISRA.
Under MISRA’s Component 2: Pursue structural reforms to improve trade and investment enabling environment MISRA will focus on support the Government of Moldova (GoM) to streamline its regulatory and operational practices to improve trade and the business environment for job creation, investment, sustainable growth and to pursue a quick economic recovery.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Senior Structural Reform Expert will be responsible for the following, but not limited to:
- Conducts and participates in reviews of the needed structural reforms to support job creation, investment and sustainable growth;
- Provides technical advice on specific changes to the regulatory environment affecting businesses in Moldova;
- Contributes to Component 2 activities to provide support to streamline regulatory requirements and practices by government ministries and agencies;
- Contributes to Component 2 activities to assist the GoM in the removal of explicit and implicit barriers to growth for small and medium sized enterprises;
- Contributes to Component 2 activities to support the GoM in developing a proactive foreign investment policy for economic diversification;
- Contributes to Component 2 activities to support the GoM in assessing the diverse tax and customs exemptions and financial incentives in Moldova and developing proposals to streamline them;
- As directed by the Component 2 Lead, oversees activities supporting changes to the legal and regulatory framework that will drive structural reforms;
- As requested by the Component 2 Lead, oversees technical inputs of subcontractors that are providing technical services to Component 2;
- Assists with coordinating, liaising, and presenting information on Component 2 activities to relevant institutions and governmental bodies;
- Assists in developing statements of work, approval memoranda, and other USAID approval documentation;
- Collaborates with Grants & Procurement Manager to identify grant opportunities that advance Component 2 objective results;
- Contributes to overall Component 2 activity design; provides regular updates to the Component 2 Lead on activity progress and monitoring and evaluation of results as needed;
- Contributes to weekly, quarterly, and annual reporting requirements for USAID and to local counterparts as needed;
- Identifies and manages short-term consultants providing assistance to achieve program goals and targets relevant to Component 2; and
- Performs other duties that may be assigned by the Component 2 Lead to successfully implement program.
Senior Structural Reform Expert will report to the Component 2 Lead.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics, Law, or a related field;
- At least 5 years of experience working on implementation of activities related to supporting structural reforms and improving the business enabling environment with a demonstrated understanding of the business environment in Moldova and the relevant governing authorities;
- Excellent research and report writing skills;
- Comprehensive computer skills, in particular Word, Excel, and Power Point;
- Strong organizational skills and excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills; and
- Fluency in English and Romanian.
Desired Skills and Qualifications (if applicable):
- Strong networks with Government of Moldova government ministries and agencies (e.g., Ministry of Economy, Ministry of Infrastructure and Regional Development, Ministry of Finance, etc.);
- Experience working with USAID and/or other international donor organizations preferred.
How to apply:
If you meet all the minimum requirements above and you would like to apply for this position, send a cover letter (one page maximum) and a CV (three pages maximum) to email@example.com with “Applying for Senior Structural Reform Expert” in the subject line. The deadline to apply is July 3, 2022. If applying to multiple positions, please send a separate email for each position. Only the top three finalists will be invited to an interview.