“Civil society actors as drivers of change in South Caucasus and Moldova” PROJECT
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Duration of assignment: TBD based on the required workload
Starting Date: 20 September 2020
Application Deadline: 14 September 2020
Location: Chișinău, Republic of Moldova (with remote support to regions TBD)
People in Need Moldova is looking for skilled facilitator(s) to support Organizational Capacity Self-Assessment and Strategy Development processes for 8 civic initiatives and grassroots organizations based in different regions of the Republic of Moldova. The process will include remote workshop facilitation and individual consultations. We are planning to recruit 1-3 facilitators, depending on the quality of applications and time availability of top candidates. Both individuals and legal entities can apply for this call.
Project information / background:
This assignment is part of the project “Civil Society Actors as Drivers of Change in South Caucasus and Moldova”, funded by the European Union and implemented by People in Need. The project aims to support new civic actors who are committed to representing people’s needs, seeking to influence real systemic change, and raising new important issues not widely known or discussed or in the society. We recognize their diversity and do not envision all of them following the same path of becoming formalized civil society organizations. At the same time, we believe that we have something to learn from and offer to each other.
In the Republic of Moldova, we will support 8 selected Civil Society Actors in developing a vision for change, planning concrete steps for how to achieve it, building capacities and accessing resources needed to go from plan to reality. PIN will work together with participants to design tailored programs to help their initiatives grow and achieve their goals.
Overview of the tasks:
- Facilitate organizational capacity self-assessment process for each CSO, in close cooperation with the PIN team and using PIN’s Organization Capacity Assessment Tool (OCAT) as guidance
- Review the selected civil society organizations’ Strategic plans (if existing);
- Facilitate the development of new short, medium and/or long-term Strategic Plans for organizations that require them.
The assessment will be used as a baseline of organizational development and as a basis for organizational development and strategic plans. Strategic plans may have different formats according to the type and size of the organization. Especially for informal initiatives these may be brief (2-5 page) documents that will be revised during the course of the project as needed. The success of the assignment will be assessed based on the satisfaction of the participating CSOs, their ownership of and commitment to their organizational development and strategic plans, rather than on the length or sophistication of the provided documents.
SCOPE OF WORK (may include but is not limited to the tasks below)
Under the overall guidance and in close cooperation with the People in Need Project Team, the expert will be responsible to:
Organizational Capacity Assessment
- Participate in the information session on OCAT, administered by PIN for the Project Team;
- In cooperation with the Project Team facilitate the Kick-off meeting with the selected CSO representatives and present the scope of the upcoming activities (organizational capacity assessment tool and strategic planning);
- Be available to respond on the questions and provide clarifications during the period when CSOs would work on their own Organizational Capacity Self-Assessment;
- Organize one-on-one meetings with the project participants to revise/finalize the Organizational Capacity Development Action Plans.
- Based on the Organizational Capacity Assessment results, in close collaboration with CSOs, facilitate the development of organization’s short and long-term Strategic Plans (including the assessment of existing vision, mission and strategic objectives).
- Consult with PIN Project Team the logistic issues (if any);
- Submit deliverables in a timely manner;
- Support CSO representatives in identifying relevant information and literature sources and follow up (if needed).
- Filled Organizational Capacity Self-Assessment form for each CSO;
- Organizational Capacity Development Action Plans for each CSO;
- Strategic Plans for each CSO;
- Final report (in English), outlining the:
- main challenges, findings;
- methodology applied;
- package of recommendations for follow-up.
PRELIMINARY TIMEFRAME FOR THE ASSIGNMENT
Estimated Duration to Complete
Participation in Information Session
Co-facilitation of Project’s Kick-off meeting (jointly with the PIN Country Coordinator)
Providing of individual consultations to 8 CSOs on Organizational Capacity Self-Assessment
Finalization of Organizational Development Action Plans
Facilitating the development/facilitation/update of CSOs’ Strategic Plans
Final Report Preparation
Duration of assignment may be adjusted based on the number of facilitators selected and the specific needs of project participants.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERTISE REQUIRED
- Experience with facilitation of group learning and change processes;
- Understanding of organizational capacity development and strategic planning, ability to advise the organizations on these topics;
- Experience with leading online workshops, trainings or activities; understanding of the specifics of online environment, learning and collaboration;
- Knowledge of Moldovan civil society environment. Background in civic activism, civic participation is an advantage;
- Proven communication and collaboration skills, openness to learning new things as part of the process, working with a co-facilitator and incorporating tools developed by PIN;
- Ability to perform tasks and fulfil responsibilities within the fixed time-frames;
- Highly motivated and committed to the values of transparency and integrity;
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English, Romanian and Russian.
The application should include the following documents:
- A letter of motivation;
- CV including minimum of 2 references from people or organizations familiar with your work;
- Estimated workload – number of days per activity (personal vision, based on an experience);
- Financial proposal (including daily rate);
- Your availability (specific dates) in the months of September and October;
- Please feel free to attach/link to your articles, blog posts or other published work on relevant topics in support of your application.
- If applying as a legal entity, please include your organization or company profile and the profiles of facilitator(s) who would be providing the services, including CV, motivation, availability and published work.
Applications should be submitted electronically to PIN Moldova office by September 14, 2020 at the email address [email protected], specifying Ref. in the subject line: Capacity Self-Assessment and Strategic Planning Facilitator.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Women and men are equally encouraged to apply.
This material was produced with the financial support of the European Union. Its contents are the sole responsibility of People in Need Moldova and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.