Job Title: Project Manager
Duration of Employment: 3 months, with the possibility of extension (4 year project).
Contract type: Individual working contract
Expected workload: full time/part time
Required languages: English, Romanian, Russian,
Duty Station: Chisinau (travel across the country is required)
Expected start of assignment: September 2021
Deadline of application: September 11, 2021
The Public Association EcoContact is a national environmental organization with the office in Chisinau. The mission of organization is “to support environmental improvements and partnerships for sustainable development of communities in Moldova, thus contributing to the formation of a responsible society respecting human rights and ensuring a favorable environment for the present and future generation”.
The organization has three strategic directions:
- Implementation of Aarhus Convention. The Organization provides support to public participation and access to information on environmental matters. Starting with 2013 EcoContact is hosting the Environmental Consultation and Information Aarhus Center, created with the support of OSCE Mission in Moldova;
- Sustainable development with a special focus on: green economy, climate change/disaster risk reduction, waste and chemical management, environmental education
- Environmental legislation. The Organization provides support to align national environmental legislation with provisions of EU-RM Association Agreement and the Action Plan.
The PA EcoContact is a rapidly developing organization and a special focus is put on the organization development. The Organization provides possibilities for personal growth and development.
The Organization is seeking a project manager for the project “Green Justice for Stronger Environmental Protection and Communities in Moldova” that started in September, 2021 and is supported by Sweden.
The project is aiming at improving the legal and institutional framework of environmental governance and justice and to achieve stronger involvement and cooperation of all key players in the environmental protection at the national and local levels. The project activities are designed to implement this objective, taking into account the experience of the PA EcoContact, as well as its institutional and NGO partners, and undertaking a series of studies on the main thematic areas of intervention. As a result, the regulatory and institutional capacity of competent state and regional authorities will be strengthened and a higher compliance with the implementation and enforcement of environmental law achieved.
The expected outcomes are:
- A better understanding of the priorities for the improvement of the environmental governance and justice in Moldova, communicated to and discussed with the stakeholders.
- Increased level of knowledge and improved skills of lawyers, civil society and authorities to address the most pressing environmental problems.
- A higher level of implementation, compliance, and enforcement of environmental legislation to address most pressing environmental problems.
- Targeted legal support on environmental cases in place, reduction of risks and consequences of environmental damages and implementation of actions to enhance the environmental governance and justice.
- A better understanding and support for project’s objectives, activities and results among the stakeholders and general public.
The expected outputs are:
- Analysis of the state of environmental governance and justice in Moldova: setting the stage for intervention and engagement conducted.
- Capacity-building of public authorities involved in the realization of environmental governance and justice in Moldova increased.
- Implementation, compliance, and enforcement of environmental legislation ensured.
- Actions for stronger environmental governance and justice, incl. prevention and mitigation of environmental damages executed.
- Communication and advocacy campaigns performed.
EcoContact is looking for the motivated person to join the team and lead the project implementation, with the previous experience in the NGOs, management and environmental areas.
Scope of work and responsibilities:
The Project Manager will work in close cooperation with the other members of the EcoContact staff to ensure the provision of development services and products of the highest quality and standards.
More specifically, they are as follows:
- Have overall responsibility for the project implementation, based on the initial plan and budget.
- Coordinate with the donors according to the existing guidelines and rules any changes that the project may face and introduce the relevant changes into the implementation process.
- Provide effective support to mobilization of technical expertise and financial resources of the project.
- Responsibility over technical knowledge management products.
- Liaises and closely consults with the national partners and stakeholders.
- Organizes and facilitates technical events at national and local levels and supports the exchange of information/experiences during regional events, with the participation of other beneficiaries and partners.
- Maintains project records, drafts the meeting minutes, reports.
- Ensures proper risk management, monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- Provides the inputs to the narrative progress reports and other documents regarding the activities implemented by EcoContact.
- Continuously records and maintains relevant project activities, issues, risks, lessons learned and other documents as per the internal regulation.
- Actively engages in the knowledge sharing within EcoContact organization and provides the inputs for the organization’s strategic plan.
- Performs any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required.
- Actively participate in organization’s work and contribute for the fundraising and visibility activities.
- Interpret and effectively communicate information covering state and local ordinances and regulations related to the water, biodiversity, air, climate change, chemical issues environmental policy to small business operators and public.
- Complete assignments in a timely manner.
The Project Manager will work under direct guidance of Executive Director and in close cooperation with organization’s staff, partners and beneficiaries.
Requirements for experience and qualification
- University degree in Management, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Social Sciences, Environment, Public Administration or another relevant field.
- At least 5 years of experience in environmental, local development projects.
- At least 5 years of experience on the local and district level with the authorities on policymaking, development projects.
- Experience in management of subgrating schemes is required for this assignment.
- Strong knowledge of the law-making processes, environmental legislation is required for this assignment
- Participation in the drafting processes of legal documents, including organization of public hearings, in the environmental area will be an asset.
- Experience in working in multi-national teams is obligatory for this assignment.
- Experience in leading teams.
- Previous experience in development assistance, implementation of projects or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector/consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
- Previous experience in the area of environment is strongly desirable.
- Experience of work in Transnistria on environmental aspects will be a strong advantage.
- Good knowledge of English, Romanian and Russian is mandatory for this assignment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Time management and planning skills.
- Proven ability to lead teams.
If you are interested in this position, please send the following documents (either in English, Romanian or Russian):
- Personal CV.
- Motivation letter including the preferred modality of work (full/part time).
The deadline of application: September 11, 2021. The applications should be sent to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Project Manager”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to participate at the interview.
The applications will be short-listed based on the following minimum qualification criteria:
- Management, Social Sciences, Environment, Public Administration, or another relevant field.
- At least 5 years of experience in the implementation of environmental/development projects, with external partners
- Knowledge of required languages.