Position Title: Intern (Media and Communication)
Duty Station: Chisinau, Moldova
Type of Appointment: Internship
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 11 November, 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and in close coordination with the IOM Program Managers, the intern is responsible for:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in implementation of all visibility activities and public events within all IOM Moldova Programs.
- Assist in development of draft press releases and organization of press conferences.
- Compile news on IOM Moldova activities to Media and Public Information Department at HQ, including articles to IOM newsletters and digests.
- Participate in monthly UN Moldova Communication Group Meetings; collaborate with the RCO media focal point; assist in preparing news and articles for UN Magazine quarterly, as well as for UN website when requested;
- Daily review of all the main periodicals, internet sites and press agencies for information on issues of relevance to IOM’s work in Moldova.
- Assist in development of raising awareness activities and/or information materials and campaigns.
- Assist in keeping up to date IOM Moldova Events Calendar, including regular updates on IOM Moldova website.
- Assist in ongoing mission website migration to newer platform by managing full current content transfer (eng/ro/ru) by established procedures and tools in close coordination with ICT and OCU departments.
- Manage content across all platforms, including website and social media, by serving as a media focal point, technical editor/writer/content manager and social media liaison for IOM Moldova mission.
- Assist the Chief of Mission and Project Managers in preparation of presentations including overall content, talking points, design and layout.
- Provide translation/interpretation from/to English, Romanian and Russian as requested.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Chief of Mission and program Managers.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Candidates for the Internship Programme will be selected on a competitive basis. Candidates may apply before completion of their undergraduate studies, but the following minimum qualifications are required by the internship start date:
- Holds a first university degree or equivalent and is enrolled in a graduate degree programme of a recognized institution in fields related to journalism, communications, media studies, political and social sciences, international relations, public and business administration, or other relevant programmes
- Studies at a university or an equivalent institution towards the completion of a graduate-level degree in one of the fields outlined above.
- Fluency in English, Romanian and Russian is required.
- Strong interest in working in the UN system
- Advanced computer literacy,
- Experience with social media management is a plus.
- Internet communication and searching skills
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and a strong team working capacity.
- a) Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills; b) strong strategic and creative thinking; c) efficiency, flexibility, high level of professionalism and ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines; d) demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity; e) ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are invited to send their curriculum vitae and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 11 November 2019 however interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 15.10.2019 to 11.11.2019