Project Associate (NPSA-6) - NAP-2: Advancing Moldova’s National Climate Change Adaptation
Climate change is already profoundly impacting the conditions for resource availability and agricultural activities. Over the last decade, the country has experienced many extreme events, such as droughts and major floods, along with the cumulative effects caused by increased mean temperature and the uneven distribution of precipitation throughout the year, which have had negative consequences on the country's economy, and its population wellbeing and health. Severe droughts are recurring more frequently, causing significant economic losses. The increasing scope and intensity of extreme events have also resulted in increased frequencies of high-risk situations. By 2050, an increase of 2–3ºC in the average temperature, an additional 32 days that exceed the current maximum temperature by 10%, and another 12 days with zero precipitation are projected.
The Government sees the National Adaptation Planning (NAP) process as key to achieving the adaptation objectives outlined in its 2014 Climate Change Adaptation Strategy of the Republic of Moldova and its 2020 Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC), as well as the continued mainstreaming of climate change considerations into its policies and budgeting processes. The proposed project supports the Republic of Moldova's Government in advancing the second cycle of its National Adaptation Planning process (known as NAP-2). The outcomes of the NAP-2 national adaptation planning processes are:
Outcome 1: To strengthen and operationalize the national steering mechanism for climate change adaptation (CCA);
Outcome 2: To improve the long-term capacity on planning and implementation of adaptation actions through CCA technologies;
Outcome 3: To improve the mainstreaming of climate change adaptation through the increased alignment of national development priorities in the priority sectors (forestry, health, energy, and transport).
The project will contribute to UNSDCF (United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework), 2023-2027 strategic priority 4 (green development, sustainable communities and disaster and climate resilience. Additionally, the project will contribute to the UNDP Country Programme Output 3.3 (National and sub-national governments have improved capacities to integrate resilience to climate change and disasters into development plans and practices to reduce population's vulnerability). Other than that, the project will contribute to the National Development Strategy Moldova 2030 by ensuring resilience to climate change by reducing risks related to climate change and by facilitating adaptation in six sectors priority - agriculture, water resources, health, forestry, energy, and transport.
The preliminary work under the first cycle of the NAP (known as NAP-1) supported developing a NAP as a process, conceptualizing, and developing its elements, including the national steering mechanism, and laid down the groundwork towards long-term adaptation planning. Despite the progress, significant gaps remain in integrating climate change considerations into many of the national priority sectors' development policies and their associated budget priorities. National appropriations for CCA remain limited.
The NAP-2 goals will be achieved within two parallel implementation tracks. The first track implemented by UNDP expands and deepens the national approach developed under the NAP-1 and strengthens synergies both vertically, at different levels of the governance, and horizontally, between the sectors affected by climate change to reduce duplication of efforts, pool scarce resources for efficient use, and ensure a coherent and comprehensive approach to the integration of CCA responses into development planning. In contrast, the second track will focus on adaptation in the agriculture sector and will be concurrently implemented under FAO's auspices.
Scope of Work
The Project Associate is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Provide support to international consultants in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results (communication, contracts, agenda, visas, accommodation, etc);
- Maintain records on all project personnel/national consultants and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, and attendance – if appropriate, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Coordinate other support staff, the project driver, translators, and short-term consultants.
- Prepare and issue contracts;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the programme activities;
- Draft minutes of Project Board and other project related meetings;
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records;
- Arrange external and internal meetings (including the meetings of the Project Board, Technical level, as well as other relevant meetings etc.).
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and project budget status reports;
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for Annual Work Plan (AWP) preparations and audit;
- Guide and assist international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Ensure the compliance of allocated funds with the UNDP norms and regulations.
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- In accordance with the Work Plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Create and mange e-requisitions in Quantum;
- Prepare the procurement plans for the projects and monitoring of their implementation;
- Prepare the submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP);
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various programme sites;
- Maintain the equipment and spare inventory including verification and transfer when required.
Other duties as assigned.
- Assume full responsibility for and manage effectively and efficiently financial, physical / material assets, etc. in order to meet expected results.
- Apply UNDP programming tools utilization, and namely, introduce and control over the financial data in Quantum.
Direct supervisor: Project Manager
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager and overall guidance of the Programme Analyst, the incumbent assists in the effective management of the project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Associate applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
Project Associate works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery.
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Management/Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solution, and deliver timely and quality results ans/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy
Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests
Ability to anticipate clients’ upcoming needs and concerns.
Business Development/Knowledge Facilitation
Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
Administration and Operations/Entitlement travel
Knowledge of policy and procedures related to entitlement travel, including the identification of entitlement for lump sum for UNDP as well as other UN agencies
Knowledge of purchase-to-pay cycles, concepts, principles and policies, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
Administration & Operations/Events management (including retreats, trainings and meetings)
Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc
Administration & Operations/Travel contract management
Knowledge of policy and procedures related to contract management, incl. oversight of the Long Term Agreement (LTA) with the Travel Management Services (TMS) provider; UN airline agreement management covering all major and rail providers; ability to negotiate airline discounts
Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets.
Education and Work experience
- Minimum 6 years of experience (with Secondary Education) or 3 years of experience (with Bachelor degree) in administrative work, accounting/finance, economics, in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO experience is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in handling web-based management systems is an asset;
- Experience in compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, reports is an asset.
- Experience in providing effective administrative and logistical support is an asset.
- Skills related to office maintenance and assets management.
Desired additional skills
- Previous experience in organization of procurement processes.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Skills in maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Fluency in the UN language of the duty station is required.
- Fluency in the national language of the duty station is required for local personnel.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Romanian.
- Knowledge of one or more minority languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Romani, Gagauzian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and sign language is an asset.
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns, or other materials.
Applicant information about UNDP rostersNote: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.Scam warningThe United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply please follow the link/Pentru a aplica, vă rugăm să adresați link-ul: Apply
Advertisement end date/Data de încheiere a postului vacant: 08 June 2023
Alte anunturi de angajare
- Anunț de angajare asistent/asistentă de proiecte
- USAID Moldova Job Vacancy: Supervisory Administrative Management Specialist
- EcoContact:Consultant juridic responsabil pentru acordarea asistenței juridice de mediu
- ADDI anunță concurs pentru postul vacant de Facilitator evenimente tematice (part-time)
- Education consultant to support the Ministry of Education and Research and Project Management Team under Moldova Higher Education Project
- Centrul CONTACT anunță un concurs pentru funcție Manager/ă de Proiect
- Asociația Amici dei Bambini, Moldova contractează expert învățare accelerată
- CRS Moldova is hiring Accountability and Safeguarding Assistant
- Concurs de angajare asistent/ă contabil-șef
- Extended deadline: CVAC Client Service Assistant