Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
Reports To: Finance Manager
Country/Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Interested candidates are welcome to apply by sending their CV with email to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning in the subject line the title of the position “Senior Finance Officer”.
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
As the Russian invasion expands in Ukraine, an enormous humanitarian crisis is developing across the country and region. The United Nations (UN) estimates that more than four million Ukrainians will be forced to flee the country if there is no cessation of the invasion, while millions of others will be displaced internally within Ukraine. Neighboring countries are quickly easing entry restrictions and preparing to host large numbers of refugees, as cars are lined up for miles on the Ukrainian sides of borders.
You will support the Finance department’s management of accounting systems, policies and procedures in compliance with CRS’ established accounting standards, donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements to support high - quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. As part of the finance team, you will help coordinate daily financial activities through preparation and delivery of financial services.
CRS is hiring for this position for 6 months, with the opportunity to extend. CRS will also consider consultancy agreements for candidates who prefer this option.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Lead on development of project budgets with input from project team, operation team, and finance team.
- Coordinate with team members for their clear understanding of their budget line responsibilities.
- Ensure that all spending is on track and in accordance with donor approved budget.
- Flag to project managers any concerns in expenditures immediately.
- Highlight to project managers any needed changes to budget.
- Review monthly BCR including liquidations for each project and ensure all transactions are coded properly.
- Lead monthly BCR review with Finance and Project team.
- Lead on submitting of cash forecast with project coordinators.
- Lead on Sub-Award budgeting, monitoring.
- Review all partner liquidation and communicate with partner any questions.
- Ensure personnel lists are accurate and expenditures are monitored monthly.
- Ensure partner advance requests are accurate and endorse for team coordinators.
- Create and maintain tracking system of expenditures and commitments in real time.
- Ensure all payments are processed correctly and on time.
- BA/BSc Degree in finance, financial management, economics, accounting, or related field from recognized institution. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Finance & Accounting will be considered a plus.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Strong computer skills, particularly Excel, Word.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures preferred.
- Experience with accounting systems is required.
- Familiarity with the relevant public donors’ regulations will be considered as a plus.
- Knowledge of financial reporting software will be considered a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to detect and report inconsistencies.
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail.
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results oriented.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Demonstrated strengths in financial management with a strong client service focus; able to work with diverse groups of people and team-oriented environment.
- Skilled in obtaining information necessary to accomplish duties.
- Able to prioritize work, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
- Able to express technical ideas and concerns in a non-technical environment.
- Strong customer orientation and oral and written communication.
- Able to adapt and learn.
- Ability to develop effective systems considering organizational effectiveness and impact on people.
- Maturity and discretion, able to work with, and maintain confidential information.
- Knowledge of or experience with social service programming preferred
Required Languages – Spoken proficiency in English and Russian/Romanian required.
Travel – Occasional travel within Moldova may be requested.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: Accountability, Protection, and Referral Officer
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: CRS Finance and Operations team, other CRS staff
External: Caritas Moldova, Ministry of Labor and Social Protection officials, local government officials, community, and Church leaders, UNHCR, working group coordination coordinators
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer; CRS is always looking for qualified, diverse and compelling candidates to join our agency and support our great work.
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
- Please note that applications will be continuously reviewed, and CRS reserves the right to close the vacancy before the deadline once a suitable candidate is identified.
- We thank all applicants for their interest, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.