Position: Financial Sector Specialist
Program: USAID Moldova Institutional and Structural Reforms Activity (MISRA)
Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Period of Performance: November 2022 – April 2027
The USAID Moldova Institutional and Structural Reforms Activity (MISRA) seeks to support Moldova’s economic recovery, advance the Government of Moldova’s economic Action Plan, strengthen public economic governance institutions, improve the trade and investment enabling environment, and accelerate financial sector reforms and inclusiveness. MISRA is implemented by Nathan Associates Inc., a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence, Nathan has corporate offices in the US, UK, and India and more than 25 program offices around the world.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Financial Sector Specialist will work closely with the Financial Sector Reforms Component Lead assisting Moldova’s financial sector regulators in creating an enabling environment for Moldova’s financial development. The Specialist will be responsible for the following, but not limited to:
- Provide assistance to the GoM in expanding in increasing access to financial services for underserved segments of the population;
- Advise and support the NBM in taking over supervision of insurance, microfinance, and other sectors from the NCFM;
- Develop sectorial gap analysis of existing legal framework related to EU directives and international best practices and provide recommendations to amend sector-specific laws and regulations;
- Work with the NBM and NCFM on developing a regulatory framework supporting FinTech startups and other innovators;
- Integrate best practices from the region in financial sector governance, inclusion, and digital finance;
- Support development of a national financial literacy strategy and associated programs; and
- Contribute to the design of the program and weekly, quarterly, and annual reporting requirements for USAID and to local counterparts.
The Financial Sector Specialist will report to the Component 3 Lead - Financial Sector Reforms.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, or Law;
- At least 5 years of experience working in financial sector
- Demonstrated understanding of the sector in Moldova and the relevant governing authorities.
- Strong organizational and project management skills;
- Excellent research and report writing skills;
- Comprehensive computer skills, in particular Word, Excel, and Power Point; and
- Strong organizational skills and excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills; and
- Fluency in English and Romanian.
Desired Skills and Qualifications (if applicable):
- Master’s degree in Finance, Economics, or Law
- Strong networks with Government of Moldova financial regulators (e.g., NBM, NCFM, CSD, etc.); and
- Experience working with digital financial services, including mobile money, electronic payment systems, and agent banking.
How to apply:
If you meet all the minimum requirements above and you would like to apply for this position, send a cover letter (one page maximum) and a CV (two pages maximum) to Moldovajobs@nathaninc.com with “Applying for Financial Sector Specialist” in the subject line. Please apply by October 12, 2022. If applying to multiple positions, please send a separate email for each position. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for test/interview.