This position serves as a multi-domain specialist for information technology and communications technologies in the Information Systems Center (ISC) for the U.S. Mission in Moldova. The Information Technology and Communications Assistant works as part of a six-person team, does not directly supervise any staff, and reports to the Information Technology and Communications t Specialist. The Information Technology and Communications is responsible for the daily operations, maintenance, management, installation, and inventory of all unclassified computer, networking, telephone, television, and administrative UHF radio equipment for the Mission. The Information Technology and Communications Assistant has an office in the main embassy compound and may access all other mission owned or leased properties.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: At least three years of work experience with the operation, management, and utilization of computer systems and Local Area Networks are required.
- Must have good knowledge of information management principles, practices, and procedures and awareness of technical advances in relevant hardware, software, and database administration techniques sufficient to serve as the Embassy's technical subject matter expert providing guidance to other US Embassy computer specialists, managers and users.
- Must have good knowledge of computers and related equipment, industry standard tools, test equipment, running, maintaining and terminating telecommunication cables and cable management systems; installing configuring, maintaining, and repairing computer equipment (workstations, servers, printers and other peripherals); data management routines, data restore procedures, utility programs.
- Must have good knowledge of communications concepts and systems as related to local area networks, wide area networks, and data communications. Skill in installing, supporting, and maintaining local area networks and in operating various communications devices (bridges, routers, switches, etc.).
- Must have good knowledge of the following applications and systems: Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Windows Server 2012/ 2016/ 2019, Microsoft Office 2016/ Office 365, MS SharePoint, and Back Office products (Active Directory, Exchange); Cisco Operating Systems; VMWare virtual environments (vSphere). Basic knowledge of PowerShell is required. Due to the ever-changing nature of technology, the specific products listed are subject to update/change.
- Must have good knowledge of Moldovan and regional IT infrastructure, IT service providers, vendors, and government offices that control and/or influence IT and telecommunications in and/or transiting Moldova.
University degree (equivalent to U.S. Bachelor’s degree) in computer science, information systems, information technology, engineering, or mathematics is required.
LANGUAGE: Level III (Good working knowledge) speaking/reading/writing English is required. Level III (Good working knowledge) speaking/reading/writing Romanian is required. Level III (Good Working Knowledge) speaking/reading/writing Russian is required. (This may be tested.)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Good technical skills to troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve hardware and software problems and to maximize the capabilities of the organization computer resources. Good skills to develop and maintain two-way communications and promote computer and automation services.
- Must be able to speak good English face-to-face with all Americans in the mission; Must be able to explain Department of State Information Technology rules and regulations; Must be able to converse, understand questions, and provide answers in English by telephone.
- Must be able to write in English to communicate network and computer service availability and/or problems with information technology systems; Must be able to write clearly and concisely in English to update and complete requests for service tickets and logbook entries;
- Must be able to work on a flexible schedule that includes after hours and weekend work. Will be on-call for emergencies.
- Good interpersonal skills to deal directly and extensively with managers, supervisees, coworkers, and end-users to resolve conflicts, secure cooperation, and to provide training and technical assistance.
- Ability to safely work in hazardous environments and/or with dangerous equipment, including basic electrical safety, fiber optic cable and laser handling safety, RF emanations safety, and ladder/heights safety.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Closing date for receipt of applications is June 8, 2022 at 23:59 Chisinau time. Please note that the only way to apply for this position is to use our Electronic Recruitment Application https://md.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/.