Title: Policy and Research Program Manager - local position (extension)
Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Reports To: Comunitatea Mea Chief of Party
Timeframe: Approximately 12 months with possibility of extension. Starting immediately.
Comunitatea Mea (CM) a 5-year program administered by IREX and funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is looking for a Policy and Research Program Manager. The program’s purpose is to a) improve the capacity of local authorities, including their ability to work inclusively with citizens and civil society, to increase revenues, improve financial management practices, and b) build on this work with localities to improve the functionality of fiscal, administrative and political arrangements between the central and local governments to improve public services for residents of Moldova and increase their trust in public sector institutions. This position will lead one of four current project components.
The Policy and Research Program Manager will manage the implementation of activities under Component 3 of the Comunitatea Mea program. He/she will be responsible for the day-to-day management of this Component working closely with the CM partner Urban Institute and CM Chief of Party. Responsibilities include developing and writing workplans and other project documents; designing and managing project sub-activities; and ensuring close-coordination with other Components of the CM program. S/he will be responsible for the performance of his/her assigned tasks within the Comunitatea Mea program, including meeting programmatic goals, remaining compliant with IREX and USAID regulations, and ensuring that project finances are properly used and within the limits of the project budget. S/he will report to the CM Chief of party. While the Policy and Research Component of the CM project is an integrated function, oversight of the work is overseen by the CM Chief of Party in coordination with Urban Institute, a subgrantee of IREX, based in Washington, DC. At the Urban Institute this project is overseen by the Institute Fellow in the Center on International Development and Governance. The position is based in the Chisinau project office with travel as needed throughout Moldova and regular phone and videoconference communication with Washington, DC based staff.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Policy and Research Program Manager will assume the following job duties and responsibilities:
- Lead implementation of Component 3 activities, including but not limited to:
- Establish and manage project schedules of work streams, including assuring collaboration and communication within the CM team and with Urban Institute and IREX headquarters;
- Draft workplans and other project strategy documents for Component 3;
- Track and analyze activity progress toward project objectives and/or provide necessary support in tracking project indicator data, including sentinel indicators;
- Ensure high quality project deliverables and results are being met, including designing, leading, and/or participating in monitoring and evaluation efforts;
- Assist with all aspects of contractual management, including drafting a solicitation for policy research proposals, reviewing grantee due diligence and risk assessment, tracking action plans, and leading follow-up activities; manage the work of STTAs and CM’s grantees associated to Component 3.
- Ensure all fiscal and performance activities related to Component 3 are in compliance with CM policies and procedures and funder regulations; track local expenditures and coordinate with UI HQ;
- Develop and support the creation of project materials, including issue briefs, policy papers, research summaries and scopes of work and reports for and by consultants;
- Ensure collaboration and coordination with CM program activities;
- Provide inputs for the drafting of the project bi-weekly, monthly activity plans, quarterly and annual reports for USAID, as well as drafting other project updates and work plans;
- Flagging any concerns regarding adherence to timelines or other concerns related to work streams implementation to program leadership, in Chisinau and Washington;
- Participate in weekly/bi-weekly project team meetings to discuss progress, upcoming activities and events;
- Manage logistics for events, roundtables, meetings;
- Contribute to the team effort by undertaking additional tasks and responsibilities;
- Support the establishment and management of working groups of civil society, researcher and government stakeholders in support of decentralization.
- Develop relationships with relevant government entities and non-government bodies such as Congress of Local Authorities from Moldova (CALM), the State Chancellery and other government of Moldova entities; and design and implement on-going support as part of the projects workplan.
- Other administrative and programmatic duties, as assigned.
Skills and experience: All of the below are valuable skills and experience. The right candidate will have many, not necessarily every single one of these skills and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, economics, law, business administration or related field preferred with 10 years of work experience. Thorough knowledge of the local governance reform agenda in Moldova strongly preferred.
- Experience in policy research, or policy advocacy in Moldova and knowledge of formal and informal processes of policy development, adoption and implementation.
- Prior experience of working with relevant Moldova government agencies or international development partners on decentralization or other reforms.
- At least 5 years of direct experience in managing donor-funded programs. Previous experience with USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to independently undertake relationship management with key public sector stakeholders in Moldova.
- Experience in, or familiarity with, reform programs of other countries in the region.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including in English.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative relationships with colleagues, civil society groups, private sector, the media, government officials, and representatives of the international community at the national and local level.
- Demonstrated capacity in facilitation, communication, and leadership skills.
- Effective and proven personnel and resource management, coordination, troubleshooting, and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated pro-active approach to problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives.
- Strong representational and organizational skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Teams/Zoom/Google communications.
- Fluency in Romanian, English and Russian required.
Submit your application to: Policy & Research Manager, Information & Media Practice | IREX Job Board (ultipro.com)
All Applications are due by March 20, 2022 at 18:00 (06:00 pm). Applicants may be selected for an interview on a rolling basis.