Type of requisition:
Consultant, PSA or NPP
120 working days
FAO in partnership with the Government of Moldova is implementing the project “Enabling a policy environment for integrated natural resources management and implementation of an integrated approach to achieve land degradation neutrality in Moldova”. The main project objective is to support and scale up the introduction of innovative climate-smart agriculture practices, and sustainable forest and land management to achieve land degradation neutrality.
The incumbent will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Moldova, the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and technical guidance of CIO and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator and in close coordination with the project team
Provide technical support to ensure effective and efficient use of modern and innovative GIS methods and approaches to enhance the project activities, impact and sustainability of interventions.
Tasks and responsibilities
· Provide overall technical support and counselling to the PCU team in matters related to GIS;
· Support the project from the GIS perspective in conducting the Baseline Analysis of the project intervention area using modern approaches and various information sources;
· Support in the implementation of the pilot area mapping exercise, including elaboration of maps based on various sets of indicators, identification of and mapping of locations and GIS tracking of modifications at local level;
· Support the elaboration of a scalable and replicable approach to Soil Quality Monitoring System based on GIS to track LDN indicators at local level;
· Provide GIS-related support and incorporate replicable, effective, efficient and sustainable GIS approaches to the Strategic Plan on Land Degradation Neutrality;
· Provide consultative and technical support to cost-benefit analysis exercises and supervise efficient use of GIS instruments by project implementation partners;
· Assess project activities and recommend the use of GIS instruments and approaches to improve project demonstration potential and promote scaling up of project activities;
· Support the PCU in GIS matters during presentations at various meetings, working groups and other events
· Other related tasks as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
· Higher degree related to geography and informatics, cadastre, or other technical fields relevant to GIS;
· At least 5 years of experience working on GIS systems, including with focus on agriculture in rural Moldova;
· Demonstrated experience successfully working with international partners on agricultural and natural resource management GIS issues;
· Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a range of stakeholders – national government, subordinated agencies and research institutions, local government and local land users;
· Familiarity with FAO or other donors’ administrative procedures, strong familiarity with computers and Microsoft Word, Excel;
· Strong ability to work under pressure and against tight deadlines;
· Strong presentation, drafting and interpersonal skills, honesty, orientation on achievements;
· Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
· Results Focus
· Building Effective Relationships
· Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
· Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
· For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your CV with all relevant details to FAO-Moldova@fao.org by 28 January 2021 inclusive.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org