Representation of Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in Moldova is assisting the government in formulating and delivering policies, programmes and projects in agriculture and food systems as well as other fields related to FAO’s mandate. Cooperation between the Government of Moldova and FAO is guided by the Country Programming Framework with three priority areas: (i) Increasing competitiveness of the agri-food sector; (ii) Fostering sustainable agriculture and rural development; (iii) Improving capacities for sustainable natural resource management and disaster risk management. The work of communication consultant will concern increasing media visibility for FAO in Moldova and Romania.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the FAO Representative and with overall technical guidance from the Communication Officer for Europe and Central Asia, and in accordance with prevailing FAO Corporate Communications policies and practices. The National Communication Specialist will carry out activities with the overarching objective of increasing public awareness and credibility in Moldova and Romania for the technical, policy, and other capacities of FAO in addressing the food and agriculture needs of the Europe and Central Asia region and beyond.
Tasks and responsibilities
- continuously expand and update a list/database of media outlets in the two countries (television, Web, radio, print media), including names and contact details for journalists covering issues related to FAO’s mandate and activities, sharing updates with the FAO Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia Communications Team as needed
- translate (from English to Romanian) selected FAO web stories, news releases, media advisories and other types of content, respecting FAO terminology while also maintaining a smart, journalistic style
- issue selected FAO news releases to Moldovan and Romanian media, and respond to follow-up calls and queries from individual journalists, referring them as appropriate to the FAO Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia, or other points of contact if agreed in advance
- generate news releases about FAO’s field programme and other activities in Moldova
- arrange, from time to time, interviews and press conferences for high-level FAO officials with Moldovan or Romanian media
- provide a monthly report on media visibility of FAO in Moldova and Romania, including URLs (or PDF attachments in the case of printed news media)
- participate in the UN Moldova communication group meetings and contribute to the strengthening of relevant partnerships;
- propose and pursue cost-effective approaches to increasing FAO’s visibility in Moldova’s and Romania’s media
- develop and implement communication plans in support of important FAO events, publications and other activities in the coverage area.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in communication, journalism, public relations or related field;
- Minimum of five years relevant experience in media relations and corporate communication;
- Language and presentation skills and ability to write news releases and media advisories in the customary style of the genre;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; and, Work experience with FAO, other UN agencies and with other International Organizations, would be an asset.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your CV with all relevant details to [email protected] by 29 December 2020 inclusive.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]