Position Title: Public Financial Management/Local Economic Development Expert (extension)
Program: Comunitatea Mea
Location: Chișinău, Moldova
Summary of the Comunitatea Mea Program:
Comunitatea Mea is a five-year activity that aims to strengthen local governments in Moldova to become more effective, transparent and accountable to citizens. This activity will strive to build local government's capacity to meet citizens' needs. By increasing the capacity of local authorities, including their ability to work inclusively with citizens and civil society, not only services will be improved but checks and balances between the central and local governments will be strengthened. The Comunitatea Mea Project will serve as USAID'S flagship local government activity to provide comprehensive assistance up to 100 communities, including towns and villages, primarily targeting local self-governing bodies.
The Public Financial Management (PFM) Specialist will provide technical assistance, capacity development and training support to strengthen budgeting, public financial management, and local economic development (LED) capacities in target Local Public Authorities (LPAs). The PFM Specialist will support assigned LPAs in close coordination with the regionally-based Municipal Service Experts, as well as Chisinau-based technical staff.
Roles and responsibilities
- Support LPAs staff in the preparation of a work plan to improve PFM and Local Economic Development in their LPAs;
- Responsible for providing technical leadership for program delivery in the areas of public financial management, local economic development and municipal income generation activities, including potential public private partnerships for the targeted LPAs, improving the environment for business, investment and entrepreneurship;
- In coordination with other colleagues, manage day-to-day liaison activities as needed and maintain relationships with Moldovan counterparts and implementing partners as related to economic development and municipal income generation activities and service improvements, support capacity assessment and strategic planning activities implemented by CM;
- Provide technical assistance to the project in the technical areas related to improved budgetary practices, municipal revenues and local economic development in accordance with the contract statement of work (SOW) and approved work plan;
- Ensure engagement of all local budgeting policy stakeholders (ex. civil society, non-governmental development organizations, media outlets, and academic and research associations) in the budget formulation and implementation process;
- Develop and direct mentoring and training activities in local economic development and income generating activities to staff in assigned LPAs;
- Assist in developing materials for training and management skills development; and
- Lend expertise to quality assurance and quality control of related technical activities.
Quality Assurance and Reporting
- Ensure that relevant technical elements of the work plans are being successfully implemented;
- Provide inputs for the drafting of the project monthly and quarterly reports for USAID, as well as drafting other project updates and work plans as requested by COP or DCOP; and
- Support Local Governance Finance Manager in ensuring that USAID and IREX rules and regulations are followed and that contract deliverable requirements are met;
- Provide support to Monitoring and Evaluation team.
- Contribute to team effort by undertaking additional tasks and responsibilities.
Qualifications (minimum requirements)
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in public finance, economics, public administration, accounting, or related field. A Master’s degree in a relevant field is an advantage.
- Work experience: At least 5 years of experience in public financial management and local economic development; experience on USAID projects preferred;
Skills: Understanding of Moldovan local budget cycle, processes, and challenges. Previous experience within a town or village government is an advantage. Experience in implementing capacity development and training programs, including coaching and mentoring; participatory training and facilitation skills preferred. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work with all levels and functions within the company. Requires an ability to work independently and as part of a team, accept responsibility, and be extremely discrete with sensitive information. Must also be able to foster supportive working relationship among all staff. Good computer skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office package, especially Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
Languages: Fluent in Romanian, excellent English speaking and writing skills, proficiency in Russian.
Submit a cover letter and CV to: email@example.com
Please include “Public Financial Management/Local Economic Development Expert” in the subject line.
Deadline: December 18th, 2020 at 18:00 (6:00 pm).
*Applications are examined on a rolling basis therefore it is in the interest of all candidates to submit their application as early as possible.
No phone calls please.