The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme is based on the European Commission Implementing Decision on the Annual Action Programme 2018 in favour of the Republic of Moldova and is funded by the European Union and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme.
The overall objective of the five-year programme is to strengthen the economic, territorial and social cohesion in the Republic of Moldova through facilitating inclusive, sustainable and integrated local socio-economic growth and improving the standards of living of the citizens in the pilot micro- regions.
To this end, this programme will address the urban-rural divide and regional disparities, stimulate economic growth and job creation, refurbish and upgrade some social and technical infrastructure in selected pilot micro-regions (smaller towns and villages) while taking into account a gender perspective in the activities of the programme.
- To strengthen transparency, accountability of local public authorities and citizen participation in local governance processes in the pilot micro-regions,
- To improve citizens' access to quality public services and utilities in the pilot micro-regions,
- To create employment opportunities for men and women in the pilot micro-regions and improve the attractiveness of the pilot regions for investors and entrepreneurs,
- To promote the smart specialization of the economy of the pilot micro regions through the development of the clustering and value chain approach in key economic sectors.
The programme objectives will be achieved through measures targeted at: (i) capacity building to support the implementation and monitoring of local economic development plans; (ii) civil society engagement in local planning, governance processes and basic social service delivery; (iii) provision of investment funding in support of the creation and/or development of social and technical infrastructure which, combined with the outcomes from interventions (i) and (ii) above, will have an immediate, visible and tangible impact on employment creation, the standard of living of the population in the pilot microregions.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager: Business Development, the incumbent contributes to effective and efficient implementation of the EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme. In this regard, the incumbent carries out actions supporting the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of programme activities, applying and promoting the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Business Development Officer works under supervision of Project Manager: Business Development, in close collaboration with the Programme Manager and other Project Officers for effective achievement of results, including from UNICEF (UNDP partner in the Programme implementation), anticipating and resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery.
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Business Development Officer in close cooperation with the Programme team, under the direct guidance and supervision of the Project Manager: Business Development, ensures the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Programme) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients by applying HRBA and GE approaches.
The incumbent is responsible for the implementation of activities related to the Small and medium enterprises (SME) support mechanism and social entrepreneurship pilot component, internationalization of companies of focal regions. More specifically:
- Ensure the implementation of the SME development mechanism. That will target the existing companies, attraction of new companies and support to start-ups. Both soft skills development and financial support are to be used. The later the contest need to be supervised and best companies to be identified. Coaching during project implementation is crucial as well as post implementation mentorship.
- Enhance Development of local business incubation facilities, growth industries and cluster of companies. Capacity building and Strategic partnership to foster new business establishment, training and coaching activities.
- Provide programmatic support to promotion of Social entrepreneurship pilot initiatives. Public awareness to be raised and outreach activities to be organized to CSO, Citizens Groups, Educational Institutions and Business Associations. Financial support mechanism to be provided. Mentorship and dissemination of experience to attract new social entrepreneurs to be carried out.
- Pushing local products across value chain. Association of producers, enhancement of processing level of products, upgrade of business process and sales channels, integration to international value chains.
- Maintain the platform of dialog to Private entities, Business Associations, Free Economic Zones regionally, nationally and internationally. Seek for synergies and contributions to project stakeholders, including public authorities and civil society.
- Ensure practical coordination of assigned areas of project activities and in order to meet expected results. Contribute to the annual activity and procurement work plans as well as budgets based on expected yearend outputs. Ensure close monitoring of activities and disbursements.
- Support project development and formulation. Design, plan and monitor sub-projects. Work on the quality of the concept papers, terms of references, proposal outlines and agreements in close cooperation with project team and subcontractors.
- Establish monitoring and evaluation systems. Establish a system of progress review with each of the implementing partners;
- Ensure timely submission of financial and activity reports by subcontractors, and ensure harmonized reporting by subcontractors on key performance indicators
- Support the selection, capacity assessment, contracting, monitoring, evaluation and audit of subcontractors, ensuring compliance with UNDP regulations.
- Contribute to the preparation of qualitative work plans and financial progress reports as may be required by the Project Manager. Provide support for the preparation of procurement/contracting and financial delivery reports for UNDP management. Timely submit the above mentioned deliverables.
- Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels.
- Applies UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide. Keeps abreast of UNDP programming practices and maintains an optimum level of knowledge through continuous learning. Makes use of mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels;
- Performs any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Programme as required.
Focal regions to become attractive for new business to appear and exiting companies to flourish. The business support is improved and a number of Start-ups created and stabilized, as well as existing companies stimulated for expansion and growing, new entrants are looking to the regions investment Social entrepreneurs pilots are enacted, the social needs are addressed, improving local economic environment. Emerging clusters of companies are created in key sectors of local economy. Capitalizing on competitive advantages, opportunities identification and turning it into winning business strategies. Internationalization of regional business entities, penetration to foreign markets by fostering cooperation between local clusters and EU value chains.
Note: The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values. Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values;
Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values, inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Job Knowledge / Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Capacity to understand advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Ability to keep abreast of developments in areas of professional discipline. Interested to develop himself/herself professionally;
- Willingness to serve as internal consultant in his/her area of expertise and to share knowledge with his/her colleagues;
- Ability to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, plan and implement project related activities, to manage data and to report;
- To understand financial regulations and rules, procurement processes and procedures;
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts. Ability to leverage resources and build support for UNDP strategic initiatives;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Required to obtain, evaluate / interpret factual data, to prepare accurate / complete reports and other documents;
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to achieve Programme’s development objectives within the country and regional context.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Commitment to achieve expected results and strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high-quality standard throughout;
- Ability to focus on tasks which have a strategic impact on the Programme;
- Willingness to flexibly adapt to changing situations, while overcoming obstacles and recovering quickly from set-backs;
- Readiness to tolerate conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity, while maintaining a positive outlook and working productively;
- Client oriented approach with positive feedback for any specific request;
- Demonstrated ability to create synergies with other Programme components, as well as other projects/ programmes implemented;
- To actively work towards continuous learning, in-line with the established plans and apply newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in economics, business administration, public administration, financial management or related areas.
- Additional training and certification in project management, business administration would be an advantage.
- At least 5 (five) years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in the area of business development, export promotion or funding schemes management;
- At least 2 (two) years of experience in capacity or business/economic development programmes, project design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience of work at Ungheni and Cahul and/or work experience in programmes financed by European Union is considered an asset;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is considered a strong advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Knowledge of one or more minority languages relevant for Moldova, including Romani, Gagauzian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and sign language, is considered an asset.
To learn more and apply for this and other job vacancies please visit: https://www.md.undp.org/content/moldova/en/home/jobs.html
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters:
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply.Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.