Position title: Consultant – Electrical Engineer, Expert in LED Technologies
Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Expected duration of assignment: Approximately 20 Days, with the possibility of extension and renewal
Application deadline: May 18, 2020 by 10:00 a.m
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
Comunitatea Mea (CM) is a 5-year program funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and administered by IREX. The program’s purpose is to improve the capacity of local public authorities (LPAs), including their ability to work inclusively with citizens and civil society, to increase revenues, improve financial management practices, build stronger checks and balances between the central and local governments, and facilitate public-private partnerships and inter-municipal cooperation.
The Comunitatea Mea Program has four interrelated components:
- Improved quality and access to municipal services;
- Citizens meaningfully engaged in local governance;
- Decentralization policy reforms advanced; and
- Increased locally-owned revenues and improved financial management practice.
Component 1 activities include competitive evaluation and selection process for LPAs to receive financial and technical support for local infrastructure projects related to local services, including street lighting.
IREX seeks a Specialist/Consultant in electrical engineering, specialized or experienced with LED technologies, specifically public lightning and energy efficiency.
Duties and responsibilities
- Review the technical evaluation criteria drafted for evaluation of bids for street lighting projects and generate proposals aimed at improving the evaluation process and technical requirements for current and future procurements, considering the beneficiaries’ needs and limitations, while ensuring equal and fair opportunity to all potential bidders.
- Participate as a voting or non-voting member in the evaluation process of the responsive bids against the technical evaluation criteria and attribute or consult the CM team on the pass/fail criteria in order to select the suitable technical offers that meet the criteria from all points of view including energy efficiency, impact on the environment, sustainability, quality of materials and quality of dispersed light.
- On as needed basis, provide answers to the questions concerning the technical specifications (if any) raised by the potential bidders within the submission timeframe.
- On as needed basis, review the technical specifications (based on existing designs) for the equipment to be procured:
- The technical specifications must incorporate a clear and accurate description of the technical requirements for the equipment to be procured. Such description must not, in competitive procurements, contain features which unduly restrict competition.
- The description may include a statement of the qualitative nature of the equipment to be procured and, when necessary, must set forth those minimum essential characteristics and standards to which it must conform if it is to satisfy its intended use.
- Detailed product specifications should be avoided.
- Some of the situations considered to be restrictive of competition include but are not limited to:
(1) Placing unreasonable requirements on firms in order for them to qualify to do business;
(2) Requiring unnecessary experience and excessive bonding;
(3) Noncompetitive pricing practices between firms or between affiliated companies;
(4) Noncompetitive contracts to consultants that are on retainer contracts;
(5) Organizational conflicts of interest;
(6) Specifying only a “brand name” product instead of allowing “an equal” product to be offered and describing the performance or other relevant requirements of the procurement; and
(7) Any arbitrary action in the procurement process.
- Evaluation reports for at least 5 separate procurements. Number of bids per tender may vary.
- Recommendation report for improvement of existing evaluation criteria.
- Regular email, phone, and online communications with CM Procurement Specialist (PS) and Program staff related to the procurement process, preparation of tender documents, and evaluation of bids.
Please note: Deliverables are subject to amendment based on consultation outcomes; further guidance and amendment of the deliverables maybe undertaken during the assignment, as needed and discussed.
- In order to achieve the given objective, the Consultant will work under direct supervision of the CM Chief of Party.
- The Program staff will provide the consultant with the necessary information and materials for the fulfilment of tasks.
Conflict of interest:
- Persons formally or informally affiliated with organizations or companies which can be potential bidders for the intended purchase of equipment are not eligible for this consultancy.
- In order to ensure objective contractor performance and eliminate unfair competitive advantage, consultants that develop or draft specifications, requirements, statements of work, or invitations for bids or requests for proposals must be excluded from competing for such procurements.
- Materials provided to the consultants and all proceeding the consultancy contract shall be regarded as confidential, both during and after the consultancy. Violation of confidentiality requirements may result in immediate termination of contract.
Skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline such as electrical engineering or automation.
Experience and skills
- Extensive experience (at least 5 years) in the area related to the electrical equipment.
- Proven experience in developing technical specifications for electrical equipment, specifically for LED technology.
- Knowledge and experience related to improving the energy efficiency of equipment and processes.
- Experience and knowledge of international/national tenders’ basic principles and procedures.
- Proven experience in working with national or international organizations on similar assignments
- Responsibility,multitasking, flexibility and punctuality.
Submit CV and a cover letter that includes your consulting rate requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Consultant Electrical Engineer” in the subject line.
Deadline: May 18, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
Applicants will be selected for an interview on a rolling basis.
* IREX will only respond to those applicants selected for an interview.