Media Information Gaps Grants (MIGG)
Open to Independent media outlets, CSOs, bloggers, civic activists and journalists from Moldova
Application Submission Deadline: January 20, 2020
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Internews in Moldova is planning to award several small Media Information Gaps Grants (MIGGs) to support worthy pilot projects and nascent initiatives through a competition open to media outlets, CSOs, bloggers, civic activists, journalists, and others who could benefit from the professional guidance and financial support to flesh out their ideas.
A selection committee will choose media and other groups representing various regions of the country, ethnic/linguistic minority groups, and the capital that meet the criteria below and have the potential to cover information gaps in rural areas, especially those where minority languages are heavily used, or where youth reside in under-informed communities. The project will support initiatives such as:
- boosting blogging and vlogging platforms, including partnerships across platforms and organizations;
- community information partnerships;
- innovative story formats;
- viral content production to promote media literacy, combatting misinformation, citizens engagement or contributing to other MEDIA-M project goals;
- minority (language) media production;
- media literacy content for people with activity limitations and participation restrictions (visually impaired, hearing impaired, etc.);
- other new initiatives in line with project aims.
- SUBAWARD AMOUNT
Under this RFA, Internews anticipates awarding up to 10 (ten) cost-reimbursable subgrants, each ranging from USD 3,000 to USD 7,000. Under no circumstances will Internews consider an application for an award exceeding USD 7,000. The exact number of grants awarded will depend on the size of the proposed budgets of winning proposals.
- SUBAWARD DURATION
Internews anticipates subgrants awarded under this RFA to have a performance period March 1, 2020 – August 31, 2020. Shorter timeframes in this period are acceptable if matching the purpose of the project.
- ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
To be eligible to apply, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a resident of the Republic of Moldova;
- Be a locally registered organization in Moldova (individuals are encouraged to partner with organizations);
- Be a creative combination of actors/use of new technology;
- Be committed to increasing the number of its viewers/listeners/users;
- Striving to improve the quantity, formats, and quality of produced materials;
- Needs to demonstrate the organizations’ commitment to continuing proposed activities;
- Needs to demonstrate a commitment to reporting requirements and deadlines.
- EVALUATION CRITERIA
A technical committee will review and evaluate applications on a range of selection criteria:
- Quality of project idea (and consistency with goals and objectives of the program): maximum 50 points;
- Project planning/ability to achieve objectives: maximum 25 points;
- Program monitoring and evaluation: maximum of 20 points;
- Institution’s record and capacity: maximum 5 points.
- APPLICATION CONTENT REQUIREMENTS
Applications must meet the following requirements:
- Include a project description.
- Include a detailed budget.
Project Description must contain:
- The project idea;
- A work plan to provide a clear articulation of deliverables within the timeframe of the project;
- A monitoring and evaluation plan (list output and outcome indicators and ways to measure them);
- Information on previous experience as grantees mentioning the funder (if applicable).
- APPLICATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTION
Applications must be submitted electronically to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line must include the words “MIGG grants.” The documents constituting the application must be included as attachments. The email must contain:
- Documents requested as part of the application.
- Full name of the applicant.
- Contact information, including physical address, e-mail, and phone number.
- Organization registration documents under moldovan law.
- AWARD NOTIFICATION AND RESPONSES
All applications submitted will be acknowledged within two (2) working days following the deadline for submission of applications and will note the documents submitted. The respondent is responsible for ensuring and confirming that the emails comprising the application reach Internews representatives.
Successful applicants will be notified of selection within fifteen (15) working days following the deadline for submission of applications.
Notice of selection of the application is not to be construed as a contract or subgrant award. Once the selection is confirmed, a final subgrant agreement will be negotiated and signed with the successful applicant, subject to prime funder approval and successful vetting of eligibility.
For more details, please write to us at the email address email@example.com or call us at the office number +373 60500570.
This activity is part of the USAID and UKaid funded project “Media Enabling Democracy, Inclusion and Accountability in Moldova” (MEDIA-M) and implemented by Internews in Moldova, which aims to promote the development of an independent, professional media, and to create a media sector that is more resilient to political and financial pressures.