Health Promotion Expert
The “Healthy Life Project: Reducing the Burden of Non-Communicable Diseases” (Proiect Viata Sanatoasa), funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, announces a vacancy for a full-time position of Health Promotion Expert.
Non-communicable diseases (NCDs), such as diabetes, hypertension and ischemic heart diseases, are the main causes of mortality in the Republic of Moldova for both men and women. The risk factors of NCDs are related for the most part to lifestyles including inadequate diet, smoking, low level of physical activity and alcohol consumption.
NCDs represent an urgent public health priority in Moldova and the “Healthy Life” project, in support to the Ministry of Health and in close collaboration with national and international partners, aims to address this need.
The first phase of the project runs from 2016 to 2020. Its overall objective is to contribute to the improvement of the health status of the Moldovan population, especially in rural areas, through the reduction of the burden of NCDs. The project has three main outcomes:
- Outcome 1: National health authorities create an enabling policy environment for decentralized and integrated management of NCDs;
- Outcome 2: The population in target districts has access to and uses quality integrated care, including outreach services, related to NCDs;
- Outcome 3: The population in target districts improve its health seeking behavior and reduce its NCDs risk behavior.
The project is implemented in 10 pilot raions. It is coordinated by a Project Facilitation Unit (PFU) based in Chisinau. To complement its team, the PFU recruits a Health Promotion Expert.
Scope of work
Under the supervision of the Team Leader and in close collaboration with the other PFU staff members, the Health Promotion Expert will:
- Contribute to the development of the project, especially in the area of health promotion, media campaign and behavior change communication
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate project activities related to health promotion
- Facilitate the understanding of health promotion among project partners, including at local levels
- Facilitate the development of models of intersectoral/multidisciplinary collaboration on health promotion involving for example primary healthcare, social care, local public authorities, community members, etc.
- Facilitate the development of evidence-based health promotion plans at local levels
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders at national, raion, village and and health facility level
- Organize and facilitate national and regional working groups on relevant technical areas
- Facilitate the capacity building of local and community stakeholders, deliver training sessions and facilitate workshops
- Supervise a team including a part-time Health Promotion coordinator and raion-based local coordinators.
- Coordinate local consultants’ activities and ensure the quality of deliverables
- Travel to pilot raions to oversee progress of activities (20%-30% working time planned as field trips)
- Produce and contribute to quality reports
- Fulfil other technical tasks and contribute to project activities as required by the Team Leader
Duration of the contract: 12 months (with possible extension). The position is based in Chisinau.
- University level education in Social Work, Psychology, Health Sciences, Community Development, Nursing, Sociology or equivalent
- Postgraduate degree in public health is an advantage
- Demonstrable knowledge of the health and social sectors in Moldova
- A minimum of 7 years of work experience in the health and/or social sector
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in international projects in a related field
- Demonstrated experience in health promotion in Moldova
- Experience in providing community-based social services and/or health services
- Experience in project management, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting
- Experience in organization and delivery of trainings, workshops and campaigns
- Experience in working with government agencies, civil society institutions, local public authorities, other local partners and diverse communities, including marginalized group.
- Ability to work in a changing, multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships
- Ability to work in autonomy and to supervise staff
- Willingness to travel frequently within the country and to rural locations
- Ability to produce quality reports
- Excellent presentation skills
- Fluency in English, Romanian, and Russian
- Proficient user level computer skills of Office and other software
Interested persons may submit their CV and a cover letter by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is 28th July 2017. Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. A writing sample will be requested prior to interview.