Healthy Life Project - Reducing the Burden of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) in Moldova financed by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) announces the vacancy for the full-time permanent position of HEALTH EXPERT (based in Chisinau).
Duration of the contract: 12 months (with possible extension)
Non-communicable diseases (NCDs), for instance cardio-vascular diseases, diabetes and diseases of the respiratory system are the main causes of mortality in the Republic of Moldova for both men and women. Unhealthy living conditions and life style, diet and alcohol consumption, in addition to smoking are the key determinants of poor health status of the population, and result in high mortality in Moldova. This burden of NCDs undermines socioeconomic development and represents an urgent public health priority. The project, in close collaboration with national and international partners, such as the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization address this need.
The Healthy Life Project – Reducing the Burden of Non-Communicable Diseases started in 2015 and its first phase has been scheduled through 2020. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the improvement of the health status of the Moldovan population, especially in rural areas, through the reduction of the burden of NCDs. The project is designed around three main outcomes:
- Outcome 1: National health authorities create an enabling policy environment for decentralized and integrated management of NCDs;
- Outcome 2: The population in target districts has access to and uses quality integrated care, including outreach services, related to NCDs;
- Outcome 3: The population in target districts improves its health seeking behaviour and reduces its NCDs risk behaviour.
The project focuses on the Primary Health Care (PHC) system and on its interface with social services. The project works closely with the communities and the local authorities. In that respect, the project is implemented in selected rayons.
The project is coordinated by the Project Facilitation Unit (PFU) in Chisinau.
In order to achieve project outcomes PFU recruits a Health Expert.
Under the supervision of and in close collaboration with the Team Leader the Health Expert will:
- Support the project team to plan, implement and evaluate activities in compliance with the agreed annual project plans
- Contribute to maintaining effective communication and collaboration across project outcomes while working in close collaboration and coordination with Project Facilitation Unit staff and other experts
- Contribute to establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with key stakeholders at municipal and facility level
- Contribute to organizing project meetings, workshops, training events as required
- Contribute to strengthening planning, budgeting, M&E, operations research and evidence based planning
The Health Expert will, especially:
- Contribute to coordinating the local consultants in accordance with their ToRs
- Support project team and project activity related meetings in terms of organization and documentation in close collaboration with outcome leaders
- Facilitate and contribute to the development and implementation of capacity building activities and workshops
- Closely collaborate and facilitate the work of outcome leaders across all project outcomes as required
- Facilitate and contribute to the reviews of documents, regulations, guidelines and protocols from different sources as required and prepare summary statements and case reports for outcome leaders
- Support the development of presentations, reports, workshop contributions, training material, etc. as required by outcome leaders
- Communicate with stakeholders and partners at national and particularly at raion level and facilitate the organization of meetings, workshops, consultancies, visits, and prepare necessary documentation
- Contribute to and facilitate exercises related to assessments, mapping of partner activities, development of related methodologies and protocols, community health promotion materials,
- Contribute to the development of project communication materials such as information leaflets and flyers, contribution to the project website and social media (if applicable) as well as information material on project activities requested by the client
- Contribute to field activities of the project such as capacity building, participating in raion health committee meetings
- Contribute to and facilitate project M&E activities for reporting on project outcomes
In addition, the Health Expert will:
- Contribute to documenting and sharing evidence and lessons learnt generated by the project
- Produce high quality reports in line with the agreed project reporting schedule
- Maintain documentation for reporting and evaluating project activities
- Assist the Team Leader with any other task as required
Required profile of Health Expert consists of the following:
- University level education in Public Health, Psychology, Health Sciences, Community Development, Nursing, Sociology or equivalent;
- Postgraduate degree in public health is an advantage
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in PHC, public health and/or clinical work (at PHC level)
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of the health system and the PHC services in Moldova, especially at rayon level
- Demonstrable experience of project reporting and development of project implementation plans
- Demonstrable experience of organizing training, workshops and other project related events
- Work experience with central and rayon authorities and the various institutions of the decentralized health system and the social welfare as well as local non-governmental organizations
- Demonstrated ability to work in a changing, multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships and teambuilding; excellent inter-personal skills
- Proven experience working with professional associations in health, diverse communities, local partners and civil society institutions
- Experience and sensitivity in working with marginalized groups
- Able to produce high quality technical reports
- Ability to produce communication and information material (leaflets, flyers, posters, website material)
- Ability to work in a changing, multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships
- Willingness to travel frequently within the country
- Excellent presentation skills
- Fluency in English, Romanian, and Russian
- Competent user level computer skills of Office and other software
Interested persons may submit their CV in European format with a cover letter, and copies of diplomas by email to: Mr Lajos Kovacs, Team Leader at email@example.com.
We recommend you submit your application as soon as possible as selection and interviews are held continually. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.